If you are a mom in Houston, the fourth largest city in the United States, you are bound to find fun activities to do with your kids of all ages anywhere in town. Whether you're a new or veteran mom, you know time flies by - kids grow up way too fast. At Mommy Poppins Houston, we want to make sure you don’t miss out on the most awesome, family-friendly activities around town. With warm weather basically all year around, Houston is the ideal place to enjoy wonderful parks and playgrounds, incredible museums, and fun play spaces. Here is the ultimate list (in no particular order) of 100 things to do with your kiddos before they grow up.
Sign up for our FREE newsletters to get posts like this delivered to your inbox, and check our event calendar for kid-friendly things to do every day.
1. Admire the dinosaurs at the Houston Museum of Natural Science.
2. Have fun at the Houston's Children Festival.
3. Feed a giraffe at the Houston Zoo.
4. Play with stingrays at the Downtown Aquarium.
5. Spend an afternoon on the Kemah Boardwalk.
6. Explore the exhibits at the Children's Museum of Houston.
7. Visit the pyramids at Moody Gardens.
8. Feed the animals at Old MacDonald's Farm.
9. Get lost in nature at the Houston Arboretum and Nature Center or the Armand Bayou Nature Center (where you can also have Breakfast on the Bayou).
Going fishing at The Woodlands Children's Museum/Photo by the author
10. Explore The Woodlands Children's Museum.
11. Head to the Houston Fire Museum and go on a fire station tour.
12. Cool off in one of Houston's many splash pads.
13. Learn about local aviation history at the 1940 Air Terminal Museum.
14. Listen to story time at The Rienzi.
15. Enjoy a less-chaotic children's museum experience at the Fort Bend Children's Discovery Center.
16. Reconnect with nature at the Bellaire Nature Discovery Center.
17. Shop, eat and play at City Centre.
18. Immerse yourself in James Turrell's "Twilight Epiphany" Skyspace at Rice University.
19. Take a stroller jog at Memorial Park.
20. Take a trip back in time at the George Ranch Historical Park.
21. Take the family to the Hermann Park Kite Festival.
22. Buy some fruit and veggies at a local farmers market.
23. Check out some of the area's train-centric museums, like the Rosenberg Railroad Museum and Galveston Railroad Museum.
24. Cheer on the team and enjoy Constellation Field's many fun and kid-friendly amenities at a Sugar Land Skeeters game.
25. Enjoy a performance of Disney on Ice at NRG Stadium.
26. Reach new heights at a trampoline park.
27. Cut down a tree at a Christmas tree farm.
Rita's, photo courtesy of Cathy Stanley-Erickson via Flickr
28. Have a cool treat to beat the Houston heat.
29. Spend the day exploring the San Jacinto Monument and Battleship Texas.
30. Visit some of the city's best Houston museums for free.
31. See the Houston Ballet perform the classic Nutcracker.
32. Take the family on an adventure in an escape room.
33. Escape the heat in an indoor playground.
34. Take a carriage ride to look at Christmas lights in River Oaks.
35. Taste the best Texas barbecue Houston has to offer.
36. Dress up and see the animals at the Houston Zoo Boo and Zoo Lights.
37. Watch a movie at the Miller Outdoor Theatre.
38. Be mesmerized by Lights in the Heights during the holidays.
39. Let the kids play at Memorial City Mall's massive indoor play space Frolics Castle and ride the Merry-Go-Round.
40. Bring your babies to your local library for play and story time.
41. Take a photo in a patch of bluebonnets.
42. Eat some mudbugs at a Crawfish Festival.
43. Pet the animals and watch the trail riders during the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.
44. Tour the Bluebell Ice Cream creamery in Brenham.
45. Find gators and camp out at Brazos Bend State Park, and while you're there, stare at the stars at the George Observatory.
46. Slurp on a New Orleans-style sno-cone at MAM's House of Ice.
47. Visit the Contemporary Arts Museum.
48. Eat delicious food from Houston's best food trucks at truck parks downtown, Tomball, and beyond.
Splashing around at Yogi Bear Jellystone Park in Waller/Photo by Get Outa Town
49. Spend a weekend (or a day) at Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park in Waller.
50. Enjoy a picnic at the Oil Ranch in Hockley.
51. Order chicken and waffles brunch at The Breakfast Klub.
52. Feed the horses at the Mounted Patrol Stables.
53. Spend the day playing in Lake Conroe.
54. Get a taste of authentic Greek food at Houston's Greek Festival.
55. Take a trip down to Pleasure Pier in Galveston.
56. Feed the ducks and ride the train at Hermann Park.
57. Attend the Houston Center for Photography's Family Day.
58. Head down to the Houston Ship Channel and take a free boat tour.
59. Go cheer at an Astros game at Minute Maid Park.
60. Get away for the weekend in The Woodlands.
61. Meet Curious George at the Kiddie Academy.
62. Listen to a free concert at the Wortham Center or Discovery Green.
63. Get up close and personal with crocodiles and reptiles at The Crocodile Experience.
64. See a jousting tournament at the Texas Renaissance Festival.
65. Take a walk (or jog) around Rice University.
66. Ride the trains at Zube Park.
67. If you're brave enough, tour Houston's most haunted places, from the Rice Hotel to Battleship Texas.
68. Sit in Family Storybook Circle at the Museum of Fine Arts.
69. Spend the day at Dewberry Farms.
Dolphin sightseeing in Galveston. Mommy Poppins/Photo by Ashley Jones
70. Do some dolphin sightseeing in Galveston Bay.
71. See the massive president busts at American Statesmanship Park.
72. Volunteer at a Toy Drive during the Holidays.
73. Watch airplanes take off at Hooks Airport.
74. Attend Toddler Tuesdays at Discovery Green.
75. Go strawberry picking at Blessington Farms.
76. Build a sand castle at the Barbara Fisher Daniel Nature Play Area.
77. Eat a slice of pie at House of Pies.
78. Eat a snack at Phoenicia after a morning at Discovery Green.
79. Explore the Art Car Museum and watch the Art Car Parade.
80. Go see the Ringling Bros and Barnum Bailey Circus at NRG Stadium.
81. Explore the Health Museum.
82. Attend the Fall Festival at the Bellaire Nature Discovery Center.
83. Take the kids to a cooking class at your area H-E-B.
84. Go to a corn maze and hay ride at Froberg's Farm.
85. Take a picture at the Houston Zipper Wall.
86. Sit back and relax at Market Square Park during movie night.
87. Admire the natural beauty of the McGovern Centennial Gardens in Hermann Park.
88. Ride the Bolivar Ferry to Galveston.
Buy some rainbow conchas from El Bolillo/Photo courtesy El Bolillo
89. Pick mouth-watering pastries or tres leches at El Bolillo.
90. See a movie at the Showboat Drive-In.
91. Explore the eclectic shops and eateries in Old Town Spring.
92. Snack from food trucks at Cullen Sculpture Garden.
93. Spend the day touring NASA Space Center Houston.
94. Splash around an area water park, like Typhoon Texas, Wet'n'Wild SplashTown, or Schlitterbahn in Galveston.
95. Take a splash at Noah's Arc at the Quillian Center.
96. Take photos and get wet at the Galleria Water Wall.
97. Enjoy the fireworks at the Freedom Over Texas Fourth of July celebration.
98. Enjoy the artwork at the Bayou City Art Festival.
99. Rent a canoe, explore Buffalo Bayou Park, and check out the mysterious underground cistern.
100.Go ice skating at the Galleria.
101. Have a picnic lunch at Levy Park.
Do you have more suggestions? Email us; we'd love to hear from you!
This post was originally published in 2017.