25 Fun Things To Do with NYC Kids on Columbus Day
New York City kids have only been in school for a month and weary parents are staring down another day off in observance of Columbus Day and Indigenous People's Day, October 14, 2019. But don’t panic. There are plenty of New York City kid spots and activities ready to entertain you and your brood during the upcoming long weekend.
Fall weather offers the perfect chance to hit one of New York City’s many destination playgrounds, of course, but we’ve also scoured our event and museum listings and combed through our day trip guides to put together a list of 25 things to do with the family on Columbus Day. Read on desperate parent, read on.
Wollman Rink. Photo by Janet Bloom
1. Get lost in the North Woods, explore The Ramble and marvel at the soaring arches in Central Park's family-friendly northern edge.
3. Take a hike on one of these seven nature trails within city limits.
Explore interactive exhibits at the always-free National Museum of the American Indian. AP Images/Jason DeCrow for The National Museum of the American Indian
4. Visit the always-free Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian, right here in NYC for its Indigenous Peoples' Day Celebration, which shines a light on America's original inhabitants and their contributions to our culture.
Explore Hudson Yards and climb The Vessel. Photo by Matt Nighswander
7. Explore The Vessel and the rest of the Hudson Yards.
8. Come face-to-face with a real-life predator at the New York Aquarium's Ocean Wonders: Sharks! exhibit.
Who doesn't want to see how big a t. Rex really was? Photo by Jody Mercier
10. Grab your bike or rent one and hit one of these family-friendly local paths.
There's something for everyone at Koreatown's many eateries. Photo by Nathan Linegar via Instagram.
You can't go wrong spending a day at the Bronx Zoo. Photo by Matt Nighswander
16. Or try one of these nearby petting zoos for fall fun on a real farm.
18. Venture out of the city for one of these 30 fall day trips.
19. Can't get away for real? Try a virtual vacation at beloved store CAMP, which recently unveiled its new travel theme.
Catch the marching band during the Columbus Day Parade. Photo courtesy of Marine Corps New York.
21. Everyone loves a parade. Catch the Columbus Day Parade as it marches north along Fifth Avenue between 44th and 72nd Streets.
24. Catch Hopalong Andrew in his regular Monday spot at City Point's DeKalb Market.
This post, first published in October 2013, is updated annually.