25 Fun Ways To Beat the Heat with NJ Kids in August
If you're suffering from hot-weather burnout, don't sweat it: New Jersey has tons of cool activities to help the whole family chill out when the temperatures soar. From beaches and splash parks to blissfully air-conditioned bowling alleys and arcades, we've got the best ways to beat the heat during the sizzling second half of summer.
Check out even more refreshing activities in our New Jersey Kids Summer Activities Guide. Stay cool, NJ!
Find relief at Asbury Park's Sprayground. Photo by Rose Gordon Sala
Hit the waves on Long Beach Island. Photo by Rose Gordon Sala
4. Skip the Shore traffic and head to one of New Jersey's lakes for a day of swimming.
8. Bait a hook and go fish!
10. Duck into an awesome shaded playground.
11. Head underground to the Sterling Hill Mining Museum. Always a cool 56 degrees, the mine offers individual, group, and family tours.
12. Try one of these 25 water games to play with kids right in your backyard.
Play some of the vintage games at the Silverball Museum on Asbury Park's boardwalk. Photo by Debbie R. via Flickr
15. Check out one of the state's many indoor play spaces. Find a fun one near you in our Guide to Indoor Play Spaces for NJ Kids.
17. Play a round of indoor mini-golf.
18. Grab some friends, gear up, and play some laser tag.
19. Refresh yourself with a blast of winter and go ice skating at an indoor arena.
20. Relish the air conditioning while the whole family figures a way out of these NJ escape rooms.
21. Create a masterpiece at a drop-in pottery or painting studio.
22. Hit the lanes at one of NJ's family-friendly bowling alleys, which range from thoroughly modern to charmingly retro.
Liberty Science Center has all kinds of cool exhibits to see and activities to try. Photo courtesy of LSC
24. Jump and play without breaking (too much of) a sweat at one of NJ's indoor trampoline parks and bounce houses.
This article first published in 2014 and has been updated since.