What's Open Now in New Jersey For Families
It's a challenge to stay on top of what's open now in New Jersey for families, but we're here to help. Many of our favorite destinations, from indoor play spaces to outdoor skating rinks, family-friendly restaurants, and more, have reopened to the public with safety protocols in place. While things may look a little different at these popular attractions, it's nice to have a reason to step out of the house and feel a sense of normalcy.
Read on for our list of what's open now in New Jersey, and be sure to bookmark this post; we'll update it as changes warrant. As always, you can find tons of things to do in our Event Calendar.
Editor's note: While we are trying to promote safer activities that occur outdoors or with social distancing guidelines in place, please keep your family and others safe by always wearing a mask and maintaining an appropriate distance. If you arrive at a venue that appears too crowded, try using the “nearby” search feature on our Event Calendar to find something else to do. Keep in mind, reservations are required for many destinations, so plan your outings in advance, and be sure to click through to each venue for any updates to its policy. Some photos in this post were taken prior to the pandemic.
Hit the slopes, indoors, at American Dream's Big Snow. Photo courtesy of Big Snow
Indoor Attractions Open Now in New Jersey
- Spend a day, or more like an entire weekend, enjoying indoor adventures at American Dream, which houses Angry Birds Not So Mini Golf, Nickelodeon Universe theme park, Big Snow, and DreamWorks Animation Water Park.
- Get a taste of summer in the middle of the winter at Indoor Water Parks in and near New Jersey.
- Rides, games, and food are on tap at iPlay America.
- Escape the house, and the cold, to visit one of these 16 indoor play spaces open now.
- Imagine That hosts open play, plus plenty of special events on weekends.
- Junior ninja warriors can get physical at these obstacle course, ninja gyms, and aerial arts spots that have reopened.
- Drop by one of these 20+ indoor art studios offering drop-in classes, virtual workshops, and take-home crafts.
- Slip and slide in the ice bumper cars at Brick's Ocean Ice Palace.
- Take a trip under the sea at Camden's Adventure Aquarium and Jenkinson's Aquarium in Point Pleasant Beach.
- Many of our favorite family-friendly museums have reopened.
- The Liberty Science Center is operating at full tilt; the Infinity Climber has reopened, and you can see cool new exhibits like Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood and its DC Super Heroes exhibits. Hours are limited, and tickets must be purchased in advance.
- Have a ball at a New Jersey bowling alley.
Roam the miles of kid-friendly trails at Cheesequake State Park. Photo by Ali Chandra
Outdoor Attractions Open Now in New Jersey
- Bundle up, and visit furry friends at New Jersey zoos, which are open with reservations, including the Turtle Back Zoo.
- Both the Cape May Zoo and Bergen County Zoo are open and, even better, FREE.
- See cute and cuddly animals at Alstede Farms and Abma's Farm which are open limited hours in the winter.
- Wander 42 lush acres of outdoor artwork at the Grounds for Sculpture.
- Get fresh air and burn energy in wide open spaces at New Jersey's playgrounds; even older kids can get in on the action at these playgrounds cool enough for big kids.
- Layer up, and take a family-friendly hike in any weather as state parks and reservations are open now.
- Slip and slide over to an outdoor ice skating rink, most of which are open through March.
- Hit the slopes at these skiing and snowboarding spots around NJ, which have reopened with reduced capacity.
- Likewise, snow tubing hills are open and a popular New Jersey outdoor winter pastime.
- Another perk of local parks? When the flakes fly, these awesome sledding spots are ready to welcome visitors statewide.
- Connect with the great outdoors at New Jersey's nature centers, many of which host winter crafts, storytimes, and maple sugaring events.
- While the buildings are closed, New Jersey's lush arboretums welcome visitors to their outdoor trails and gardens; both Cora Hartshorn and Reeves-Reed offer family-friendly programming.
- Take a stroll on the Jersey shore's famous boardwalks; both Point Pleasant and Wildwood's boardwalks are home to year-round arcades that are heated.
- New Jersey State Parks are open and ready to explore. Restroom access is limited. Some of our favorites include Hacklebarney, in Long Valley, High Point, in Sussex, and Allaire, in Wall Township.
- The thrills are back as Six Flags' Great Adventure opens for the season March 27; Great Adventure's Safari Drive-Thru reopens on March 20.
- Hop on rides at the shore when Jenkinson's Amusement Park, Keansburg Amusement Park and Playland's Castaway Cove open for the season March 27.
- Climb aboard dump trucks and diggers as Diggerland opens for the season on March 13.
- Storybook Land is perfect for the younger set, opening for the season March 27.
Dine on a scrumptious Greek dinner in a heated plexiglass tent at It's Greek to Me in Ridgewood. Photo courtesy of the restaurant