25 Things to Do on a Rainy Day with Kids in Connecticut
Just because the weather calls for rain, your day doesn't need to be dreary, too. From free museums to indoor playgrounds to tasty treat spots, here are 25 ways to keep kids active and entertained when showers put a damper on outdoor plans. For even more things to do, check out our indoor fun guide; and don't forget to keep tabs on our events calendar, which is packed with plenty of fun activities—inside and out—for every day of the week.
1. Sweeten the day with a journey on the cupcake trail in Fairfield County.
3. Take cover in a submarine.
4. Teach kids at the self-proclaimed world's largest ropes course, right in New Haven.
5. Can't decide which of Connecticut's awesome museums to go to? Take a family vote (or put contestants in a hat and choose).
7. Come in from the damp weather to a cup of delicious cocoa at these hot chocolate spots.
8. Take the gaming beyond the basement at an exciting indoor arcade.
Photo courtesy of Chelsea Piers/Scott McDermott
9. Jump all that pent-up energy out at an indoor trampoline park.
10. Head to an indoor climbing wall to test kids' strength and agility.
11. Sample sweets at a chocolate factory tour and learn a thing or two about the art of candy making.
12. Clear skies not required: Observe the heavens at a planetarium.
13. If you're a Husky fan, take a few hours to learn about the program's rich history at this UConn sports museum.
15. Stash a pad of paper and some pencils in a tote bag and challenge everyone to choose their favorite artwork to sketch at an art gallery.
New England Air Museum. Photo courtesy of Connecticut Office of Tourism
18. Introduce children to the peace and challenge of yoga.
19. Pick a flavor you've always wanted to try (and skip sunny-day lines) at an ice cream parlor.
21. Teach kids how the first Americans lived at the Mashantucket Pequot Museum.
22. Duck inside the indoor museum at Dinosaur State Park to do hands-on prehistoric activities.
23. See if the foul weather coincides with a no-cost admission time at a nearby museum.
24. Spend a day at hidden-gem Questers' Way for healthy play and snacks.
25. Grab an umbrella, slip on some rain boots, and explore a short, easy hiking trail to look for frogs, salamanders, ducks, and other critters...wet weather can be the best time to explore nature!