25 Fall Activities and Day Trips for Chicago Kids
Whether you're a pumpkin-spice pusher or an apple aficionado, the fall season certainly brings out the fun family activities in Chicago. This year seems to be no exception. A number of top Chicago attractions are finding safe ways to reopen for fall fun, including drive-in and drive-through events, outdoor dining, and reserved time slot events.
Please check each venue's website before leaving home to ensure you've booked any necessary reservations and are able to comply with its social distancing and other safety rules that might be in place.
1. See a movie at a pop-up drive-in or in the park. Seat Geek Stadium in Bridgeview, ChiTown Futbol in Pilsen, Lincoln Yards in Lincoln Park Burr Ridge Village Center , and Sears Center in Hoffman Estates are hosting pop-up events throughout the fall.
2. Go apple picking at one of our 14 favorite orchards.
3. Take a hike on these kid-friendly trails near Chicago.
Travel back in time with Dinos Everywhere at the Brookfield Zoo. Photo courtesy of the zoo
5. Enjoy a corn maze, spooky or tame.
6. Meet your favorite villain by reserving a spot at the Royal Trick or Treat in Bartlett (October 23).
The Lincoln Park Zoo gets all decked out for the season during its Fall Fest. Photo courtesy of the zoo
8. Go on a pumpkin walk, visit a pumpkin patch, or eat some fall themed treat at Lincoln Park Zoo’s Fall Fest.
10. Try for a hole in one with a mini golf course near Chicago.
Visit the Bahai House of Worship at Open House Chicago. Photo courtesy of the event
11. Check out some of Chicago’s unique architecture at Open House Chicago, kicking off October 16.
Go pumpkin picking, take a hayride, or get lost in a corn maze at farms in the Chicago area. Photo courtesy of Keller's Farmstand
15. Pick your own pumpkin right out of the pumpkin patch at these Chicago-area farms.
16. Find your new favorite food truck at Cantigny Park.
18. Enjoy some adventure and a concert at The Forge at Lemont Quarries Adventure Park on select Saturday nights.
Trains, trains, trains-always a big hit! Visit the Model Railway Garden at Chicago Botanic Garden. Photo courtesy of the garden
20. Choo choo! See some tiny trains at the Model Railway Garden at the Chicago Botanic Gardens.
Measure yourself against a dinosaur bone at the Field Museum. Photo courtesy of the museum