Spring Break Staycation: Fun Things To Do With New Jersey Kids
If ever there was a year we deserved an amazing spring break, 2021 is it! This is the year to make up for lost time, but you don't need to get on a plane to have an epic vacation. Skip the long airport security lines—and germs—in favor of enjoying a spring break staycation right here in New Jersey.
Most New Jersey school districts are closed somewhere between Monday, March 29, and Friday, April 9. Luckily, you don’t have to go far to make the most of your time off. The Garden State is home to museums, playgrounds, zoos, and other fun zones just a short drive away. Plus, our Event Calendar is full of great events taking place during that period.
Read on for more than 35 fun things to do with kids during a spring break staycation. You can also find great nearby getaways in our Day Trips Guide and more seasonal entertainment in our Spring Fun Guide.
Editor's note: While we are trying to promote safer activities that occur outdoors or with social distancing guidelines in place, please keep your family and others safe by always wearing a mask and practicing social distancing. If you arrive at a venue that appears too crowded, try using the “nearby” search feature on our Event Calendar to find something else to do.
Meet the spring babies animals at Alstede Farms Springtime Family Festival.
Family-Friendly Events to Enjoy During Spring Break in New Jersey
1. Get in the spirit of spring with the Easter Bunny, hayrides, egg hunts, and more at Alstede Farms Easter and Springtime Family Festival, which runs daily from Saturday, March 27-Sunday, April 11.
2. Catch a seasonal train ride with the Easter Bunny.
3. The hunt is on: Gather treasures at a local Easter egg hunt.
4. Experience Broadway singers, art exhibits, a laser show, and more from the comfort of your car during Cruise: An Artistic Drive-thru Experience in Atlantic City from Friday, March 19-Monday, April 5.
Check out a spring break camp at HudsonPLAY.
5. If you're looking for structured activities, check out these spring break camps with sports, crafts, theater, and more.
6. Score a spring goodie basket while remaining in the car at a spring festival drive-thru in Edison on Thursday, April 1.
7. In honor of April Fool's day, learn tricks in nature at a guided hike Wednesday, March 31, and Thursday, April 1).
8. Kids can take art classes at the Hoboken Historical Museum on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. FREE
The Easter Bunny stops by Storybook Land for some Easter Weekend Fun!
9. Become part of a fairytale when Storybook Land hosts Easter Weekend Fun from Friday, April 2-Monday, April 5.
10. Stroll through Palmer Square on the weekends, and try to catch up with the Easter Bunny through Saturday, April 3.
11. Drop by Jakes Branch County Park Nature Center for FREE nature crafts from Monday, April 5-Friday, April 9.
12. Cattus Island hosts themed nature walks every weekend. Search for osprey nests Saturday, March 27, and Sunday, March 28, or signs of spring Saturday, April 3.
The Six Flags Wild Safari Drive-Thru Adventure takes explorers on an exhilarating, interactive animal adventure.
Anytime Spring Break Outdoor Events
13. Make it a thrilling week of rides and attractions when Six Flags Great Adventure makes its seasonal debut.
14. While you're there, visit the wild inhabitants of the Safari Drive-Thru.
15. Stroll the boardwalks of the Jersey Shore for treats, exercise, and ocean breezes; many beaches are admission-free through Memorial Day weekend.
Keansburg and other amusement parks reopen in time for spring break.
19. Venture through 42 lush acres of outdoor artwork at the Grounds for Sculpture.
20. Break out the bicycles and take the family for a scenic ride along a family-friendly bike trail.
Watchung Reservation's Sensory Trail lets little ones use their senses. Photo by Margaret Hargrove
21. Take a short and touchy-feely stroll through Watchung Reservation's Sensory Trail.
22. If walking is more your family's speed, check out these dozen easy hikes perfect for little legs.
Let your little ones wander the grounds and gardens at Reeves-Reed Arboretum.
26. Book a tee time at a mini-golf course.
Spend spring break scaling the infinity climber at the Liberty Science Center.
Anytime Spring Break Indoor Events
28. Check out can't-miss exhibits, including Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood, Beyond Rubik's Cube, and the Infinity Climber at Liberty Science Center.
30. While outdoor water play may be a few months off, have a splash at indoor water parks in and near New Jersey.
31. Rides, games, food, and Top Golf are on tap at iPlay America.
32. Junior ninja warriors can get physical at these obstacle courses, ninja gyms, and aerial arts spots.
35. Have a ball at a New Jersey bowling alley.
36. Get crafty over break at these 20+ indoor art studios offering drop-in classes, virtual workshops, and take-home crafts.
37. Indoor play spaces offer an active escape from the house.
This post, originally published in 2018, has been updated. Photos courtesy of the venues