The holidays may be over, but winter will be with us as long as the groundhog dictates. We know how hard it is to keep the kids occupied this time of year, so we’ve gathered a slew of activities that you can do with your kids this season—beyond storytime and baking cookies.
Whether you're looking to stay local or you're itching to explore beyond our borders, we have ideas that should suit every level of motivation. You can embrace the cold at a winter festival or celebrate one of many winter holidays, including Chinese New Year, Groundhog Day, and Valentine's Day. Try a winter sport like snow tubing or skiing, or get some indoor action at a trampoline park or play space. And that's just the beginning—read on for the full list.
Looking for even more? Consult our Event Calendar and sign up for our newsletters to stay in the loop. We’ll keep you busy all winter long!
1. Snag a seat to soak up the a capella sounds of the The Maccabeats on Saturday, January 26…
2. …or to travel around the world from the comfort of your seat at Tamburitzans International Folk Dance, also on January 26…
3. …or The Very Hungry Caterpillar and Other Eric Carle Favorites, told through fanciful puppets and black lighting, on Saturday, January 26.
The Cat in the Hat comes to the Emelin Theater. Photo courtesy of TheaterWorks USA
4. Purchase your tickets early for the stage adaptation of Dr. Seuss’ The Cat in the Hat, taking place on Saturday, February 9.
5. Take your pick of entertainment genres at the Saturday Morning Family Series, offered Saturday mornings starting in February.
6. Take your pick of circus acts: There’s the exotic Cirque Zuma Zuma, featuring performers hailing from 16 African nations, on Saturday, February 16…
7. …and the return of the Royal Hanneford Circus, offering numerous performances throughout Presidents’ Day weekend (February 16-18).
8. From page to ice rink, catch a performance of Peter Pan & Friends on Ice on Sunday, March 10.
Winter Festivals and Events
Grab a stick and stay warm by the fire while roasting marshmallows at the Hudson Valley Trail WinterFest.
9. Face the brisk air at the Hudson Valley Rail Trail WinterFest with a chili contest, roasted chestnuts, toasted marshmallows, wagon rides, a wood-carving demonstration, and more on Saturday, January 12.
10. Enjoy assorted winter sports, as well as marshmallow-roasting, crafting, a snowman contest, and more at the Hyde Park Winterfest on Saturday, January 19. It’s FREE!
11. Or toast marshmallows, learn about maple sugaring, and catch the log-sawing contest at Old-Fashioned Winter’s Afternoon on Saturday, February 2.
12. Chill out with assorted crafty science at the Winter STEM Extravaganza on Tuesday, February 5.
13. Bring your binoculars to the multi-site Hudson River Eaglefest, an annual ritual, on Saturday, February 9.
RELATED: Make a Day of It with These Winter Day Trips for Westchester Families
Learn all about maple sugaring at the Greenburgh Nature Center. Photo by the author
14. Tap the trees for maple sugaring and round out the day with assorted other fun on Sunday, March 3.
15. Choose from numerous ways to be a good-doer through the UJA-Federation Interfaith MLK Day of Service on Monday, January 21.
16. Though a dubious “holiday,” personally we wouldn’t argue against National Pie Day, featuring a feast of the sweet stuff, on Wednesday, January 23.
17. Give groundhogs their due with nature study and a craft at It’s Groundhog Day on Saturday, February 2.
18. Reserve early (you'll thank us!) a seat at the elegant Victorian Valentine Tea on Saturday, February 9.
19. Celebrate the Year of the Pig at the annual Chinese New Year Festival on Saturday, February 9…
20. …or take advantage of the FREE Lunar New Year Celebration on Sunday, February 10.
21. Create a campaign poster inspired by Presidents’ Day on Tuesday, February 19.
22. Celebrate Dr. Seuss’ birthday with a shindig on Saturday, March 2.
23. Wear your best green to the Rockland County St. Patrick's Day Parade, one of the largest in New York, on Sunday, March 17.
Workshops and Challenges
24. Learn a historic art form at the FREE Tin-Punch Decorating Workshop on Monday, January 21.
25. Create a terrarium to take home and nurture on Monday, January 21.
26. Learn how to create a bullet journal—offered both Tuesday, January 22, and Tuesday, February 12.
27. Learn doll care at American Girl Spa Day and take home an eye mask for your doll on Saturday, January 26.
28. Work as a team to escape from detention at the school of Witchcraft and Wizardry at Escape the Harry Potter Room on Saturday, January 26.
29. Uncover the Science of Snowflakes and make your own “snow” and snowflakes on Saturday, January 26.
30. Grab your chopsticks! Make and feast on Candy Sushi on Friday, February 22.
31. Move over, Food Network! Look out for the Teen Cupcake Wars—a team decorating competition for prizes—on Friday, March 8.
Embrace Winter with Anytime Fun…
32. Make a day of it at any of these nearby winter day trips.
33. Or make a whole weekend out of it at one of these amazing locales.
34. Ski up and hit the slopes.
35. Take the family on a snowboarding adventure…
36. …or for some snow-tubing thrills.
37. Stay close to home when the snow falls and glide down one of our favorite places to go sledding.
38. When the temperatures drop, bundle up and make frozen bubbles.
…or Dodge Winter with Anytime Indoor Fun
39. Indulge in the luxury iPic movie theater and its uber-comfy seats.
40. Practice your flips at one of the tried-and-true indoor trampoline parks…
41. …or check out the new trampoline park in Rockland or the new trampoline park in Queens.
42. Get some exercise at one of these sports and fitness facilities.
43. Leverage that library card! You might be surprised what it can access for you.
44. Need a multigenerational outlet? Get your caffeine fix at one of these drop-in play cafes.
45. Do some dessert-hopping at one of the newer sweet shops.
46. Snowed in? Turn to our snow-day resource before pulling your hair out.
47. Who says you can’t go swimming in the summer? These nearby indoor water parks would beg to differ.
48. Give bookworms their fill by signing them up for a book club.
49. Burn off some steam together at the facilities we’ve identified that offer family workouts.
50. Adding to this list of 50 activities you just finished reading is the list of 50 things to do indoors with kids this winter in NYC!
This post has been updated for 2019.
Unless noted, photos courtesy of the venues.