Ready for February vacation with the kids? Presidents Day falls on Monday, February 18 this year, and most Westchester schools are closed that whole week for a winter break. While some families fly south for February break, and others head north to ski, there’s no reason why families can’t enjoy a winter “staycation” right here in Westchester and the Hudson Valley. There’s so much to do!
With numerous tourist attractions, a slew of play spaces, scheduled events, and loads to enjoy outdoors, Westchester offers plenty of fun without the need for air travel or pesky traffic. Below we’ve rounded up some of our favorite ways to spend the week off from school without breaking the bank OR packing a suitcase.
Looking for more things to do? Consult our guide to FREE things to do in February, and make sure to check out our Event Calendar and follow us on Facebook!
The Royal Hanneford Circus returns to the Westchester County Center. Photo courtesy of the circus
1. Join the circus! Buy tickets for when the Royal Hanneford Circus comes to town—February 16-18.
2. Savor the maple-sugaring season and learn how to tap a tree on Sunday, February 17.
The classic Japanese film Spirited Away comes to Bedford Playhouse. Photo courtesy of Studio Ghibli
3. Catch a screening of Oscar winner for Best Animated Film Spirited Away on Monday, February 18.
4. Make your own snow globe on Monday, February 18.
5. Glam up for the tres magnifique Fancy Nancy’s Stupendous Soiree on Tuesday, February 19.
6. Get up close and personal with Outragehisss Pets on Tuesday, February 19.
7. Test your wits at this escape room (or opt for the lower-scale and FREE Escape the Room event on Tuesday, February 19).
8. Concoct some Frosty Winter Slime on Tuesday, February 19.
9. Be an archaeologist, a paleontologist, or just a dinosaur lover at the Dinosaur Stomp on Tuesday, February 19.
10. Sign up for Teen Sewing on Wednesday, February 20, and take home a project of your own creation.
11. Marvel at the feats performed by a member of the National Circus Project on Wednesday, February 20.
12. Get creative with oversized cartons at Out of the Box Building on Wednesday, February 20.
13. Celebrate The Wizard of Oz’s 80th anniversary with assorted activities on Thursday, February 21.
14. Produce your own design using the so-cool technology of 3-D printing on Thursday, February 21.
15. Grab your chopsticks and feast on candy sushi that you make yourself on Friday, February 22.
16. Walk the red carpet, make your own Hollywood star, and more at the Oscar-Themed Event Week.
17. Browse the selection of fiber-arts and culinary classes geared for kids.
18. Consult our Winter Fun Guide for where to go skiing, snowboarding, ice skating, sledding, and more.
RELATED: 50 Fun Things To Do with Westchester Kids This Winter
Head to the Intrepid for Kids' Week during February break. Photo courtesy of the museum
19. Head to Manhattan for Intrepid Kids’ Week, featuring a super-extensive lineup of kid fun each day.
20. Play your card right and get FREE admission to area museums.
21. Sign up for FREE Video Game Design Camp.
Ride the Flowrider at Aquatopia. Photo by Sara Marentette
22. Pretend it’s summer at an indoor water park.
23. Catch a pay-what-you-wish flick at the Alamo Drafthouse, where you can order anything from a shake to a meal (that part’s not pay what you wish!).
24. Paint your own masterpiece on canvas.
RELATED: Winter Day Trips for Westchester Families
Sesame Street Live! Let's Dance comes to Madison Square Garden this month. Photo courtesy of Sesame Street
25. Cut a rug at Sesame Street Live Let’s Dance at Madison Square Garden.
26. View the new exhibitions of art inspired by the moon, timed to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the first lunar landing…
27. …and combine this visit with assorted activities at the museum’s School’s Out, Stars Are In program.
28. Come in from the cold and burn off some energy at one of the many indoor play places in our area…
29. …or take an excursion to a Hudson Valley indoor play space…
30. …or try one of these NYC indoor places to play.
31. Take advantage of FREE winter admission to Stone Barns Center for Food and Agriculture and inquire about drop-in workshops scheduled during your visit, also FREE.
32. Cross the Hudson and check out one of several family-friendly museums in New Jersey (and if you go via the Mario Cuomo Bridge, you can show your kids where the Tappan Zee was recently blown up).
33. Take a drive (or a train!) to any of several area firefighter museums.
34. Go antiquing and tour “ruins” in kid-friendly Cold Spring.
35. Shop, dine, and see where George Washington really visited in the sweet downtown of Rhinebeck.
36. Try your hand(s) at rock climbing.
37. Why wait for summer? Chill out with frozen yogurt.
38. Take a FREE or low-cost class offered by a Westchester store.
39. Consult our list of 60 FREE places to play in Westchester.
40. Looking for even more ideas? We’ve also got 35 Things to Do During Winter Break in NYC.
That's not all! Check our Event Calendar for a plethora of activities all month!
This article first published in 2017 but has since been updated.