[UPDATED: September 11, 2012]
If you're heading to the beaches of Long Island, there's a great new site to check out. KidMontauk.com gives parents the inside skinny in everything you need to know to have a blast on and off the beach in Montauk, NY. Heather D'Agostino, the site's founder, offered to fill us in on her Top Ten Things to Do with Kids in Montauk. Thanks, Heather!
1. Find a beach and play all day in the sand and surf or find a “secret” quiet beach, like Culloden Point and search for sea shells and driftwood.
2. Horse ride at Rita's Stables on West Lake Drive or Deep Hollow Ranch on Rt. 27 and climb on the hay ride carriages when you're finished
3. Bike ride down the original old Montauk hwy past the Deep Hollow Ranch and off road it or just hike down to Camp Hero.
4. Go boating, fishing, surfing or whale watching- Montauk has all of the water sports. You can rent anything from a kayak or sunfish to a twin motor sport boat or go with a captain.
5. Hike the Seal Haulout Trail from Rt. 27 up to the Block Island Sound. It's a pretty, wooded, beginner hike suitable for 3 year olds and up. In the winter months, go during low tide to see the seals hanging out on the rocks.
6. Fly kites at Navy Road Park. Bring a picnic lunch, a fishing pole for the Pier or sneakers for the Hither Hills Trails that are right there.
7. Spend the day at the Montauk Downs State Park. There is a beautiful 18 hole golf course, tennis, two pools and places to eat. There are Pros to give private or group lessons.
8. Enjoy the sunset (and a cocktail) at one of the many establishments having a Western View where the kids could play either on the sand or on the grass!
9. Listen to live music on “The Green” at the Gazebo right in town on Mondays from 6-8 pm while the kids dance, run and play and make fast friends.
10. Have a bonfire and 'smore on Gin beach, where less wind and the sunset make a perfect ending to a magical day.