It's here! Mother's Day is Sunday, May 14, and we think all you moms deserve to have a great weekend in NYC—rain or shine.
Of course, you can go to brunch first—see our Manhattan/Bronx recommendations here; Brooklyn spots here; and Queens restaurants here—or lounge in bed while your fans bring you baked goods and large quantities of caffeine. But then it's time to treat yourself and the kids to some family time, NYC style.
We've rounded up 25 ideas to celebrate Mother's Day, 2017. Some are just for you, but most are special events that can be enjoyed with your children.
Not enough for you? Check out our Spring Fun Guide or the just-released May GoList for even more ideas. Or perhaps you prefer a spring day trip out of the city for the special occasion.
1. Make a Mother's Day picture frame at the Children’s Museum of the Arts and then check out its new exhibit Weather or Not, That Is the Question. Both are FREE with admission.
2. Rent bikes and try one of these outdoor adventures such as riding the Ferris wheel at Coney Island. Maybe climb an outdoor wall at Dumbo Boulders, which just opened for the season.
3. Toast mom at the New York Botanical Garden’s annual Mother’s Day weekend-long Garden Party, and check out CHIHULY, the incredible handblown glass sculpture exhibit that just opened.
4. Revive your roller disco moves by going skating at any of these roller rinks around New York City.
5. Join the Museum at Eldridge Street on its Yiddishe Mamas Mother's Day Walking Tour and learn how moms rolled on the Lower East Side in generations past.
6. Leave the city behind as you take a woodland hike at Wave Hill’s annual Mother’s Day party.
7. Grab a fancy garden brunch at Queens Botanical Garden.
8. If you're a single mom, Mother's Day can be delicate—see our suggestions for enjoying the day.
9. Pack everyone into the Zipcar or onto the train for one of these 25 awesome spring day trips.
10. Score a day pass to hit up one of these private NYC pools for a family swim.
11. If you want to dodge the crowds, trade Mother's Day for Father's Day, with your baby's daddy. On June 18, you might not wait in line for a pedicure.
12. Take in some family theater or a show. Flight School, The Musical, Old Turtle and the Broken Truth, That Physics Show, and The Princess, the Emperor, and the Duck, among others, all play Sunday.
13. Catch the ferry to Governors Island, which is open on Mother's Day for the first time that we recall.
14. Take your kids to play some miniature golf, and don't let them win for once. It's your day!
15. Sample the chocolate and learn the history behind your favorite sweet at The Chocolate Museum.
16. Or indulge in a new NYC staple: Thai rolled ice cream.
17. Go to the zoo, or see animals at one of these indoor NYC spots.
18. Experience the rawther fancy atmosphere of high tea at one of these NYC destinations.
19. Try making a Mother's Day pillow at the Children’s Museum of Manhattan. Note: Register in the lobby in advance of the event.
20. Spend an artful day in the open studio at the Whitney Museum of American Art.
21. Picnic at Prospect Park after grabbing food at the weekly, just-opened-for-the-season Smorgasburg.
22. Bond with your crawler or toddler at a baby-and-me class in Manhattan, Brooklyn or Queens.
23. Hit the lanes at kid-friendly Brooklyn Bowl and take in the Music of Madonna with Alyssa Cowit.
24. If the weather holds, try one of these outdoor weekend festivals in Central Park: Japan Day or the Mother's Day Celebration at the Central Park Zoo.
25. Got the rain blues? Head to one of these nearby indoor water parks, where you can lounge (indoors) next to the pool or hit the steam room.
Top image: Lavender pillows and violet notes are a Mother's Day treat at Wave Hill. Photo by Joshua Bright/courtesy of the venue.