It's here! Mother's Day is this Sunday, May 8, and we think all you moms deserve to have a great weekend in NYC—rain or no rain.
Of course you can go to brunch first—see our Manhattan/Bronx recommendations here; Brooklyn spots here; and Queens restaurants here—or lounge in bed while your fans bring you baked goods and large quantities of caffeine. (Can you tell what I plan on doing?) But then it's time to treat yourself and the kids to some quality family time, NYC style.
We've rounded up 25 ideas on how to celebrate Mother's Day 2016. Some are just for you, but most are special events that you can enjoy together with your children. Not enough for ya? Check out these fun NYC Mother's Day itineraries, the Spring Fun Guide or our weekend event picks for even more ideas.
1. Moms enjoy the Children’s Museum of the Arts for FREE this Mother’s Day when kid crafting and art sessions take place for the holiday.
2. Rent bikes and try one of these outdoor adventures like riding the Ferris wheel at Coney Island or seeing the new exhibits at Socrates Sculpture Park.
3. Toast mom at the New York Botanical Garden’s annual Mother’s Day weekendlong Garden Party.
4. Go to yoga. When was the last time you took an hour for yourself? Or enjoy family yoga at the recently opened Monkey Do!
5. Design your own spring art crawl by visiting these cool new outdoor art exhibits around NYC.
6. Leave the city behind as you take a woodland hike at Wave Hill’s annual Mother’s Day party.
7. Grab a fancy pastry and tea at the Rose House in Flushing.
8. Drop the kids off for free art with City Sculpting in McCarren Park (please RSVP).
9. Pack everyone into the Zipcar or onto the train for one of these 25 awesome spring day trips.
10. Score a day pass to hit up one of these private NYC pools for a family swim.
11. Have a low-key, veggie-heavy organic brunch served with Stumptown coffee at Moss Café in Riverdale.
12. Take in some family theater or show. The Pied Piper, Curious George: The Golden Meatball, Twinkle Tames a Dragon, That Physics Show, Little Red’s Hood, the UniverSoul Circus, among others, all play Sunday.
13. Catch a special Mother’s Day musical puppet show in Gowanus, followed by a puppet-making craft.
14. Watch sailboats race down the Hudson in the America Cup World Series; Brookfield Place will host food vendors and free music.
15. If you’re in Brooklyn, snag a table (and a high chair) in Frankie’s backyard, a glass of rosé and a plate of cavatelli.
16. Laugh at yourself while you try to remember how to stay upright during free family roller skating in Brooklyn Bridge Park.
17. Go to the zoo, or see animals at one of these indoor NYC spots.
18. Create a terrarium, snap a family pic in the photo booth and sip wine at the Saturday Mother’s Day fete at Harlem Children’s Zone.
19. Try out a variety of mom-themed crafts at the Children’s Museum of Manhattan, from pillow- to soap-making.
20. Spend a day at The Guggenheim, which hosts its monthly family tour this Sunday.
21. Picnic at Prospect Park after grabbing food at the weekly, just opened for season Smorgasburg.
22. Try a new baby-and-me class in Manhattan, Brooklyn or Queens to bond with your crawler or toddler.
23. Get a massage. Pregnant or not, these Manhattan spots and Brooklyn day spas will work those knots out.
24. If the weather holds, try one of these outdoor weekend festivals in Central Park: Japan Day or On A Wing.
25. Got the rain blues? Head to one of these nearby indoor water parks where you can lounge (indoors) next to the pool or hit the steam room.
Top image: Make lavender pillows and violet notes for Mother's Day at Wave Hill. Photo by Joshua Bright/courtesy of the venue.