It’s almost time to celebrate Mom! While we love nothing more than a great Mother's Day brunch (in fact, there are a lots of kid-friendly area restaurants to try), there’s something to be said about honoring her a little differently this year.
So whether you’re trying to avoid a mid-meal meltdown courtesy of your toddler or just looking to get outside and enjoy the beautiful spring weather, we rounded up 35 things to do this Mother’s Day that don’t require restaurant reservations. Some take place on Saturday—because, let’s face it, we deserve more than a day!
Looking for more things to do in Westchester and the Hudson Valley? Consult our Event Calendar and sign up for our newsletters!
1. Create art together using elements found in nature at any of six participating facilities.
2. Interact with animals and more at a family-friendly farm.
Boundless Adventures has thrilling activities for the whole family. Photo courtesy of Boundless Adventures
3. Climb to new heights at this treetop adventure course.
4. Drop in for a family clay class.
5. Enjoy a courtesy performance by the West Point Band, continuing its Masterwork Concert Series.
The whole family can explore the vegetable fields and beyond at Stone Barns Center for Food and Agriculture. Photo by Molly M.Peterson
6. Spend the day at Stone Barns Center for Food and Agriculture, where you can learn about how the farm operates.
The Boscobel House has sweeping views as well as family-friendly activities. Photo courtesy of Boscobel House
7. Visit Boscobel House and Gardens when family-targeted activities allow all-age appeal.
8. Hang with the animals and watch the annual sheep shearing. Time your visit to shop at the Farmer’s Market while there.
9. Stroll the grounds and view the exhibits at the Hammond Museum & Japanese Stroll Garden…
10. …or enjoy a picnic and meander the elegant grounds of Caramoor.
11. Check out the zoo, merry-go-round and hiking trails at Bear Mountain State Park.
12. Gather up your own wolf pack and head to Throw Mama to the Wolves, where you'll meet and learn more about these animals.
13. Enjoy an outing of FREE STEM fun at the season opening of the Science Barge.
14. Get adventurous with zip lining on one of the three courses at Hunter Mountain.
15. Splurge on a day of scalable adventure at the rustically lovely Mohonk Mountain House.
16. View the exhibitions of art inspired by the moon (stick around for the related workshops), timed to coincide with the 50thanniversary of the first lunar landing.
17. Spend the day exploring a quaint Hudson Valley town, such as Beacon, Cold Spring or Rhinebeck.
18. Build a fairy house for a wee one with your wee one and explore the historic farm while there.
19. Sign up for a 5K or 2-mile walk at this female-only race that also offers kids’ attractions.
Stroll through the gorgeous fields of tulips at the Tulip Festival in Albany. Photo courtesy of the festival
20. Take a ride to Albany for the annual Tulip Festival, whose attractions include not only vast quantities of Dutch bulbs, but a kids’ zone and the coronation of this year’s Tulip Queen.
21. Enjoy an afternoon walk along the Scenic Hudson RiverWalk Park at Tarrytown, before stopping at Lighthouse Ice Cream or heading to Pierson Park for some playground time.
22. For even more nature-inspired fun, head to the Mommy's Lil' Sprouts event for story reading, seed planting and more.
23. Tour one of the many historic mansions in our area, such as the Rockefellers’ Kykuit estate…
24. …or take a behind-the-scenes tour of this gothic mansion for a servant’s perspective à la “Downton Abbey” (sell-out alert!)
Moms ride free on Mother's Day Rye Playland. Photo by Susan Miele
25. Dragon Coaster anyone? Playland opens on Mother’s Day weekend, and on Mother’s Day moms ride FREE.
26. Check out the cool outdoor sculptures at Storm King Art Center and stay for an optional art workshop.
27. Shop the flea market and enjoy entertainment and kid fun, too.
28. Pick up lunch or pack some homemade sandwiches (bonus points if Mom's not the one making them!) and visit one of these great local parks for a family-style picnic and fun.
29. Grab your wheels and helmets and go for a bike ride down the (closed) Bronx River Parkway, now that Bicycle Sundays are back for the season…
30. …or try one of these bike paths.
31. Try the new craze of rolled ice cream.
32. Save on the cost of Mom’s ticket on a sightseeing cruise along the Hudson River.
33. Trade your favorite brunch spot for a family-friendly beer garden.
34. Create a Zentangle tile photo frame together.
35. Head to the Bronx for Mother’s Day activities at the Botanical Garden or Wave Hill.
This originally posted in 2017 and has been updated for 2019.