Springtime in Philly is the perfect time to get outdoors and find some new adventures with your littles. Spring brings so many great activities and fun events for Philly families to do. For many, spring heeds the opening of lots of outdoor play spaces like Diggerland and Sesame Place. Spring also brings blooming flowers, festivals, and pick-your-own season.
Take a look at our events calendar for more springtime activities.
1. See the frogs at the Academy of Natural Sciences through May 14, 2017 at their springtime exhibit Frogs: A Chorus of Colors.
2. Check out the new Legoland Discovery Center in Plymouth Meeting Mall opening April 6, 2017.
3. Climb a tree at Elmwood Park Zoo's Treetop Adventures exhibit. Courses include zip-lining and games, and there's even a Night Adventure option.
4. Go fishing at Newlin Grist Mill. A fun spot not too far from the city, Newlin Grist Mill is a great place to hook some fish.
5. Have a picnic at Sister Cities Park. With a playground, a splash pad, a cafe and a discovery garden where kids can climb and explore, Sister Cities is a great place to spend a nice afternoon.
6. Fly a kite at Valley Forge National Historical Park. Valley Forge Park has tons of wide open spaces that are just perfect for kite-flying. Plus, it offers a built-in history lesson.
7. Explore the New Jersey Pine Barrens. A great place for hiking, the pine barrens are a unique area to spot interesting wildlife, and get into nature.
8. Go camping in Jim Thorpe. Spring is a great time for camping. The weather is just warming, but it's not yet too hot. Grab your gear, set up your tent and have a great time!
9. Check out the wildlife at Bowman's Hill Wildflower Preserve. Bowman's Hill offers spring bird walks, frog slogs and more educational activities that are perfect for warm spring weather.
10. Go mini-golfing at Franklin Square. The square also has a carousel, fountain and playground for lots of springtime fun.
11. Smell the flowers at Bartram's Garden. Walk along the Tidal Schuylkill River at this beautiful garden where you can also go boating, canoeing and paddling. Bartram's Garden also features family programs and workshops.
12. See the true beauty of spring at Spring Blooms at Longwood Gardens. Dogwoods, magnolias, wisteria, azaleas and more than 240,000 tulips are blooming at Longwood Gardens.
13. Pack a lunch and take a day-trip out to Kids' Castle in Doylestown for a unique playground experience. Kids' Castle is an eight-story wooden play structure shaped like a castle. The playground is situated on a 108-acre park, which includes tennis courts, basketball courts and picnic tables.
14. Rainy day? The Franklin Institute's Jurassic World exhibit runs through April 23, 2017.
15. Find something new to you at one of the area's many spring consignment sales.
16. Go for a walk at Hagley Museum in Wilmington, DE. Situated on the banks of the Brandywine River, Hagley features a variety of different educational walking tours and is a great place for kids to learn and get active outdoors.
17. See a Phillies game. Baseball season returns April 7, 2017!
18. Have some fun at Sesame Place. Opening day is April 29, 2017, and Sesame Place is an awesome place for the littlest kids to have fun and play outside. Kids love taking pictures with all their favorite characters.
19. Take a trip to the Ocean City, NJ Boardwalk for the afternoon and ride the rides at Gillian's Wonderland Pier or Playland's Castaway Cove. Park hours are limited to weekends in the spring, check the website or call to confirm before driving there.
20. Learn something new at the Philadelphia Science Festival and Carnival. The festival runs from April 21-29, 2017 culminating in the Science Carnival, which takes place at Penn's Landing this year. This fest is definitely a yearly highlight for Philly kids.
21. See the animals at the Philadelphia Zoo. Spring is the perfect time for a zoo trip before the weather gets too hot. The animals love the warm weather, and it's a great time to catch them out soaking up some rays.
22. Drive the trucks at Diggerland. Diggerland opens for the season on March 18, 2017 and features lots of fun activities for kids. Kids can operate real construction equipment and ride construction themed rides at this amusement park. Keep in mind, Diggerland is only open on weekends until June.
23. Try something new at one of these great places that serve Thai Rolled Ice Cream!
24. Take a day trip to one of the many amazing nearby waterfalls.
25. Take a free outdoor yoga class on the Delaware River Waterfront at Race Street Pier. Classes run Monday - Friday at 7am, Monday - Thursday at 6pm and Saturday and Sunday at 9:30am starting April 10, 2017. All ages are welcome to attend as are pets!
Photo courtesy of the author.