Holiday Break in Philly: 35+ Things to Do Between Christmas and New Year's Eve
Winter break is almost here, and the kids are going to need full-time entertainment. After they've binged the best kids' Christmas movies or have had their fill of Hanukkah happenings, it's time to get them up and off the couch for all the winter adventures they can handle. We've got everything you need to fill your winter break bucket list, from holiday lights to winter excursions and more. So plan an entire week's itinerary with our picks below, and don't forget to browse the Best Holiday and Christmas Events near Philadelphia.
Traveling over the holiday break? We’ve got whole sites dedicated to the best things to do with kids in most major US cities—heck, even if you’re traveling abroad, we’ve got you covered! Be sure to browse all of our Mommy Poppins sites to keep those kiddos busy wherever you are.
If you're staying in town and plan to visit multiple attractions in Philly, it’s worth it to look into a Go City Philadelphia Pass which includes entry to the Franklin Institute, the Adventure Aquarium, the Philadelphia Zoo, Legoland Discovery Center, and more—all for one ticket price.
Holiday and Christmas Lights Over Winter Break
1. Dasher's Lightshow –– Philadelphia
A magical holiday experience awaits from the comfort of your car at this drive-thru Christmas lights show.
2. Longwood Gardens –– Kennett Square
See beautiful lights on display at this special and sparkling annual event.
Macy's Holiday Traditions are back with the iconic tree and Dickens Village. Photo by J. Fusco
3. Macy's Center City Holiday Traditions –– Philadelphia
The beloved Macy's Light Show is back, along with Dickens Village.
4. LumiNature at the Philadelphia Zoo –– Philadelphia
More than one million lights transform the zoo into a sparkling winter playground.
5. Morris Arboretum –– Philadelphia
Stroll through the arboretum's garden railway at night to see the trains decked for the season.
6. Wild Lights at Elmwood Park Zoo –– Norristown
Grab some hot cocoa and explore the zoo lights at night.
7. Holidays in the Village –– New Hope
Admire the lights and peruse the candied confectioneries at the annual Gingerbread House Display and competition. Vote on your favorites while you enjoy local beverages and treats.
RELATED: 101 Christmas Activities for Kids
The Miracle on South 13th Street showcases the best of Christmas in South Philly. Photo by K. Kelly for Visit Philadelphia
8. The Miracle on South 13th Street –– Philadephia
Visit the 1600 block of South 13th Street between Tasker and Morris to see this stunning annual neighborhood display.
9. Smedley Street Christmas Light Spectacular –– Philadelphia
The 2700 block of Smedley Street is festively decorated with blow-up decorations, beautifully lit trees, and sparkling string lights.
10. West Chester Griswolds –– West Chester
This house models itself after Clark Griswold's home in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, and it does not disappoint.
11. Shady Brook Farms –– Philadelphia
Enjoy Shady Brook's drive-thru light show while blasting holiday tunes.
12. Herr's Snack Factory –– Nottingham
Load up the family vehicle and drive through this display of more than 600,000 dazzling bulbs.
Walnut Street Theatre presents Cinderella. Photo courtesy of the theater
Holiday Shows Over Winter Break
13. George Balanchine's The Nutcracker –– Philadelphia
Marvel at the dancers and delight in the costumes during the Philadelphia Ballet's performance at the Academy of Music.
14. Charlotte's Web –– Philadelphia
Watch Charlotte descends from the ceiling using aerial silks while actors transform into her barnyard friends in this production by Arden Children’s Theatre.
Head to the Walnut Street Theatre for this Broadway adaptation of the classic story.
16. Disney on Ice –– Philadelphia
Frozen meets Encanto in an epic mash-up at the Wells Fargo Center where there will be no talk of Bruno.
17. Blue Man Group –– Philadelphia
Blue Man Group brings their signature drumming, colorful creativity, and quirky comedy at this performance party.
RELATED: Online Santa Visits
Franklin Frost at the Franklin Institute will delight families this holiday season. Photo by Liz Baill @creativishmom
Indoor Activities Over Winter Break
18. Christmas Underwater –– Camden, NJ
Scuba Santa swims throughout Adventure Aquarium and gets everyone in the holiday spirit.
19. Franklin Frost –– Philadelphia
Visit the magical Celestial Village at the Franklin Institute, open just for the holiday season.
20. Art Kids Studio –– Philadelphia
Plan some creative family time at the Philadelphia Museum of Art's drop-in studio programs.
21. Holiday Bricktacular –– Plymouth Meeting
Meet the Elves with seasonal building activities at LEGOLAND Discovery Center in the Plymouth Meeting Mall.
22. Kwanzaa Celebration at Please Touch–– Philadelphia
Help light the kinara at the Please Touch Museum on December 30.
23. Brandywine Railroad Exhibition –– Chadds Ford
The whole family will be mesmerized by the train garden and holiday display.
24. Fairmount Park House Holiday Tours –– Philadelphia
Tour stately mansions all dressed up in their finest holiday attire.
25. Academy of Natural Sciences–– Philadelphia
Spend a day among the dinos and dig for fossils.
26. Trampoline Park –– Multiple Locations
Bounce off some energy and burn those cookie calories.
Skate with twinkling lights all around at the Rothman Orthopaedics Ice Rink. Photo courtesy of Center City District
Outdoor Activities Over Winter Break
27. Outdoor Ice Skating –– Multiple Locations
28. Christmas Village –– Philadelphia
Ride the Ferris wheel, the kids' train, or the double-decker carousel, then browse the vendors and pick up a handmade gift or a yummy treat.
29. Winter in Franklin Square –– Philadelphia
30. Carnival of Lights –– Pottstown
Play games and enjoy rides amidst Christmas vibes.
Join Hersheypark for more than 5 million twinkling lights, rides on select coasters and family attractions, visits with Santa and his reindeer ,and more!
Winter Break Day Trips
31. A Very Furry Christmas –– Langhorne
Wish happy holidays to the Sesame Street gang.
32. Crayola Experience –– Easton
Get creative with a visit to the Crayola Factory, which features festive holiday-themed activities.
33. Dutch Winter Wonderland –– Lancaster
Amish county welcomes Santa for the season at Dutch Wonderland, along with rides, entertainment, and a light show.
34. Koziar's Christmas Village –– Bernville
Walk through one of the most well-known Christmas lights displays in the country and take in all of the holiday magic.
35. Christmas Candylane –– Hershey
For the sweetest Christmas experience around, use winter break to check out over 5 million twinkling lights at Hersheypark.
36. Pocono Mountains –– Multiple Locations
Put on your snow pants and try tubing down a mountain or hit the slopes on your preferred skis or snowboards at mountain resorts across the Poconos.
37. Winter Hike––Multiple Locations
Hit the hills as a family and shake off that cabin fever with a hike.
Kristen Sullivan, Lindsay Li, and Liz Baill contributed to this post, which was updated for 2022.