30 Spring Things We Can't Wait to Do With Boston Kids
We're always delighted to welcome spring to Boston. It's the season when everything comes alive and each day brings a small and wonderful surprise. The city's green spaces are vibrant centers of color and activity, and it's the perfect time to get outdoors with the kids to reconnect with nature or celebrate at a fair or festival. Here are our picks for Boston's best activities for families in springtime. And for even more ideas for making the most of the season, check out our Boston spring fun guide.
1. Get the first sweet taste of spring at a maple sugaring festival or farm.
2. Educate your kids about a springtime farm tradition at a local sheepshearing activity or festival.
3. Surprise your kids with a fun April Fool's Day prank.
4. Greet new baby animals at Drumlin Farm.
5. Show your kids how cool science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) can be during the Cambridge Science Festival.
Kids are encouraged to interact with the science experiments on display in Cambridge. Photo courtesy of Cambridge Science Festival
6. Witness the true arrival of spring in Boston on Swan Boats Opening Day.
7. Go back in time with a Patriots' Day battle reenactment.
8. Learn all about spring at a nature center.
9. Join the quest to see whales frolic in their natural habitat on a whale watching cruise.
10. Enjoy the bounty of local farms, music, and kids' activities when the farmers markets open for the season.
11. Discover how easy it is being green and show some love for our planet at this Earth Day celebration.
12. Get outdoors and help one of our local wildlife sanctuaries during the Mass Audubon Statewide Volunteer Day.
The Public Garden is a classic spot for a spring stroll. Photo courtesy of Juhan Sohin via Flickr
13. Spend an afternoon in the Public Garden, where the blooms are spectacular in the springtime.
14. Celebrate art and music with plenty of kid-friendly activities at the Cambridge Arts River Festival.
15. Hop on the uniquely Boston Greenway Carousel for a spin and then explore the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway.
17. Pack a picnic on Mothers Day and take it to the Arnold Arboretum for Lilac Sunday.
18. Don your beaks and tails for the annual Duckling Day Parade in the Public Garden.
Yellow attire and accessories are encouraged at the Duckling Day Parade. Photo courtesy of Friends of the Public Garden
19. Take your little one for a nature walk.
21. Start cycling with your kids in celebration of Bay State Bike Week.
22. Celebrate art and culture at the Cambridge River Festival. Happening on the banks of the Charles, this festival includes plenty of music, art, and activities for families.
24. Have your cake and sunshine, too: Dine al fresco at a kid-friendly restaurant with outdoor seating.
25. Explore our beautiful local trails with an easy hike with your kids.
26. Celebrate art and fresh flowers at the MFA's annual Art in Bloom Festival. For extra family fun activities, plan your visit for Community Day on April 28th.
27. Dance to beating drums in celebration of one of Spring's most famous blossoms at the Brookline Cherry Blossom Festival.
28. Spring means amusement parks are back in business! Go for a spin or dare to ride a rollercoaster!
29. It's time to get outside to play! Explore some of these great playgrounds in the area.
30. Just like us, animals are coming out of hibernation, so take your kiddos to get wild out one of our great local zoos!
This post was originally published in March 2014