20 Spring Activities near Boston We Can't Wait To Do with Kids
We're always delighted to welcome spring to Boston. It's the season when everything comes alive and each day brings a small and wonderful surprise. The city's green spaces are vibrant centers of color and activity, and it's the perfect time to get outdoors with the kids to reconnect with nature on a farm or at a park. Here are our picks for Boston's best activities for families to look forward to this spring.
For even more ideas for making the most of the season, check out our Boston spring fun guide.
2021 note: Some events and operating hours could change depending on COVID-19 status through the spring. Check in with businesses before heading out.
1. Get the first sweet taste of spring at a maple sugaring festival or farm.
2. Explore the hiking trails, observe baby animals, and hop around a natural playscape at Drumlin Farm.
3. See the gorgeous spring blooms and hike the rolling hills at Arnold Arboretum.
4. Celebrate the spring equinox with a pizza party (March 20, 2021).
5. Surprise your kids with a fun April Fool's Day prank.
6. Learn how to decorate some beautiful eggs in anticipation of Easter.
7. Visit, feed, pet—and sometimes even hold!—animals at a petting zoo.
Putt putt the day away. Photo courtesy of Mulligans
8. Challenge the family to a game of putt-putt at one of these great mini golf courses. Most are open by late spring.
9. Experience music, dance, and art-making opportunities at the Harvard ArtsFirst Festival (April 19-30, 2021).
10. Just like us, animals are coming out of hibernation, so take your kiddos to get wild out one of our great local zoos!
11. Hop on the uniquely Boston Greenway Carousel for a spin and then explore the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway.
12. Learn all about the flowers and animals of the season at a nature center.
13. Hit a family-friendly Massachusetts bike trail with your kids.
14. It may not be time to swim quite yet but you can still pack up the shovels and buckets and spend a day at the beach to dig, explore, and play.
15. Join the quest to see whales frolic in their natural habitat on a whale-watching cruise.
16. It's time to get outside to play! Explore some of our favorite innovative Boston-area playgrounds.
17. Have your cake and sunshine, too: Dine al fresco at a kid-friendly restaurant with outdoor seating.
Kimball Farm has homemade ice cream, a driving range, mini-golf, bumper boats, and more. Photo by Kindra Clineff/Massachusetts Office of Travel & Tourism
19. Don't wait until summer to get your first licks in! Visit an ice cream farm stand and treat your littles to a cone. Most open up for the season in the spring.
20. Witness Boston's unofficial kickoff to spring on Swan Boats Opening Day (May 8, 2021).