25 Things To Do in White Plains With Kids
With its many restaurants, tons of shopping, and a bustling downtown, White Plains, situated right in the center of Westchester, is home to about 58,000 people. It boasts a walkable downtown area and easy access to the Metro-North's express trains to NYC. There’s also plenty of green space and outdoor activities, like hiking trails and playgrounds, catering to kids of all ages. Plus, between the White Plains Performing Arts Center, Westchester County Center, and an active Business Improvement District organization, there are various performances and events throughout the year.
Be sure to sign up for our newsletters to stay in the know.
Fun Outdoor Places for Kids to Play in White Plains
1. Go for a walk on the Jack Harrington Greenway, a 1.3-mile trail through a residential area that is easy enough for toddlers. (Leave the strollers at home, though).
2. For slightly more involved (but still kid-friendly) hikes, head to Saxon Woods Park, off Mamaroneck Avenue. Either one of the two entrances to the park will lead up to trails.
3. Visit the Saxon Woods Park playground, a favorite among White Plains kids.
Saxon Woods' pool is a perfect place to cool off during summer's heat. Photo courtesy of the pool.
4. In the warmer months, make a day of it at the Saxon Woods Pool, complete with a splash pad.
7. Go on the Storywalk at the Bryant-Mamaroneck Avenue Park, which is great for early elementary schoolers, and has different stories every few months; it's an easy enough walk for younger siblings, too.
Enjoy a drive-in movie courtesy of the White Plains Business Improvement District. Photo courtesy of WPBID
Cool Cultural Institutions and Seasonal Fun in White Plains
8. Head to the Farmer’s Market, which is open on Wednesdays
9. Go ice skating at Ebersole Ice Rink.
10. Check out The Trove, the children’s library at the White Plains Library, currently open by appointment only.
11. Don’t miss the annual fireworks show at White Plains High School, usually held right before July 4—sadly, it's canceled in 2021.
See a kid-friendly performance at the White Plains Performing Arts Center.
13. Check out an event hosted by the White Plains Business Improvement District, like the recently launched Dine & Drive-In series.
14. Visit the White Plains Holiday Market (also hosted by the White Plains BID) in December to find tons of locally made products, from baked goods to jewelry to art.
15. Take part in the White Plains Juneteenth Celebration, which includes a parade and more.
16. Spend a rainy (or too-hot) day bowling at Bowlmor.
Hit The Galleria of White Plains for all your shopping needs.
Great Restaurants for Kids in White Plains
18. Grab a sandwich from the popular (and delicious) Roosters Market.
20. Have a slice (or pasta, or chicken parm) at Lombardo’s family-friendly restaurant.
21. See what kind of fun snacks from around the world you can snag at 914 Exotics.
22. Go for a crazy milkshake and a plate of wings at Lazy Boy Saloon.
Sundance Kitchen and Cantina serve plenty of kid-pleasing tacos.
23. Have breakfast or lunch at Sundance Kitchen & Cantina.
25. Stop for a smoothie or tea at Hastings Tea & Coffee, and take advantage of their cute outdoor seating.
Photos courtesy of the venues/shops
Places featured in this article:
Saxon Woods Park
Bryant-Mamaroneck Avenue Park
Ebersole ice rink
White Plains Public Library
White Plains Holiday Market
White Plains Performing Arts Center
The Dog Den
Lazy Boy Saloon
Sundance Kitchen & Cantina
Memorial Brew Coffee Shop
Hastings Tea & Coffee