It’s hard to believe there’s less than a month until school starts. While a part of you—OK, a big part—may be doing silent cartwheels, another part is still seeking the fill the days ahead. Lucky for you, we know how to make the time fly with some amazing activities and family fun.
In honor of these last few weeks, we’ve created a summer bucket list just for Westchester families. See how many of these you can complete while you’re hunting down school supplies.
As always, our Event Calendar is full of even more ideas, and you can sign up for our newsletters to have them delivered straight to your inbox.
1. Ride the Crazy Submarine at Rye Playland.
2. Had your fill of Playland? Venture beyond the borders to new theme park like Sesame Place, Diggerland or Quassy.
3. Spend time at the New Rochelle Grand Market and check out the Touch a Truck.
Nothing says summer like a giant water slide.
4. Glide down 1,000 feet of slippery wet vinyl at Slide the City in Mount Vernon.
5. Learn all about butterflies at Butterfly Weekend at the Hudson Highlands Nature Museum. While you’re there, you can check out Grasshopper Grove, the nature-themed playground.
6. Bring a blanket and take in one of the final outdoor concerts of the summer.
7. Or bring some popcorn and watch a movie outdoors—for FREE—at Kensico Dam Plaza.
8. Not free that night? Visit a classic drive-in theater instead, which have showings seven days a week.
9. Chill out with a little sunset yoga.
10. Get creative with build-your-own froyo.
The possibilities are endless when it comes to frozen yogurt. Photo courtesy of BRRZAAR.
11. Visiting the staggering sculptures at Storm King Art Center. There’s free admission at the end of the month!
12. Check out the New York Renaissance Faire, which is marking its 40th anniversary this year. Game of Thrones fans will be especially interested.
13. Visit a national park—for FREE!
14. Go on a campout. Whether you’re looking to get pampered, you want complete solitude, or you’d just like a place with a few “extras,” there are plenty of options for every camper’s comfort level.
15. Cool off at “The Brook.”
16. Bring the family for a round of mini golf.
17. Check out the newly renovated Sprain Ridge Pool and its brand-new spray park.
18. Head up to Bear Mountain State Park for swimming, hiking and a trip to the zoo.
There are picnic spots a-plenty at Bear Mountain State Park.
19. Or head down to the Bronx Zoo to check out the new Treetop Adventure.
20. Bring the kids to a classic summer carnival.
21. Visit Kykuit and tour the grand gardens.
22. Go day-tripping in Dutchess County.
23. Ahoy Matey! Go on an interactive Pirate Quest with Historic Hudson Valley.
Don't miss Pirate Quest before it ends! Photo courtesy of Historic Hudson Valley.
24. Take part in New York’s second largest county fair.
25. Don’t forget to get your glasses for the solar eclipse!
All photos taken by the author unless otherwise noted.