25 Things To Do in Los Feliz with Kids
If Los Feliz is where your stroller rolls, then you know it's not just for hipsters anymore. The eastside, hillside neighborhood is now as popular with families as Santa Monica and Pasadena, and as close to Griffith Park as Burbank. From hiking to pony rides without giving up an artisan cup of coffee, this is one of the easiest locations in Los Angeles to find something for everyone. Whether you're a neighborhood family wanting to stay close today, or from farther afield and ready to try a different neighborhood's version of our 100 things list, feast your eyes on our collection of family activities in Los Feliz.
- Get your art on at the Junior Arts Center at Barnsdall Park's free Sunday art workshops.
- Sink your teeth into Oven Roasted French Toast Souffle with Creme Fraiche Whipped Cream & Maple Syrup at Little Doms.
- Watch the dogs run and play at the Griffith Park Dog Park open daily from sunrise to sunset.
- Check out the endangered Sumatran tiger at the Los Angeles Zoo and Botanical Gardens.
- Visit the birds at The Bird Sanctuary, open daily 5am-10:30am.
- Examine the more than 50 fern species at Ferndell Nature Museum, then grab a snack from the nearby snack stand.
- Space out at the planetarium at Griffith Observatory.
- Go for a spin on the Park Center Merry-Go-Round, where there is also playground equipment, a children's play area, picnic tables, barbecue pits, and restrooms.
- Make a splash at Citywide Aquatics for just $3.50 for adults and $1 for children.
- Try a pony ride at Griffith Park Pony Ride.
- Satisfy your train loving kids by touring Travel Town Museum and riding the trains.
- Take a trip on more trains at the Los Angeles Live Steamers Railroad, where kids can travel on a scale model steamer.
- Hike the wilderness within the 53 mile network of trails of Griffith Park. Maps of trails and current information is available at the Ranger Station, 323-913-4688.
- If hiking isn't your family's thing for the day, rent a bike Spokes n Stuff and tour Griffith Park on wheels! Go to their website for current printable coupons.
- Across the way from Griffith Park, cool off by taking a rest at the William Mulholland Memorial Fountain.
- See a concert at the internationally renowned Greek Theater, a 5900 person capacity venue.
- Explore the history of the diverse peoples and artifacts of the American West at the Autry National Museum.
- Enjoy dinner and a show at Rockwell Table & Stage. The online calendar has details of which shows are appropriate for all ages.
- Sign up for art classes at Dragonfly DuLou.
- Hunt for fresh produce, flowers, and honey at the Los Feliz Village Farmer's Market, Sundays 9am-2pm.
- Monday night enjoy dinner at On the Lot, a weekly street food-for-all food truck event.
- Stroll into Alcove Cafe for a midday tea and pastry on the outdoor patio; and starting in May, enjoy dinner and movie night at Alcove, too.
- One of the four Froyo Life locations happens to be in Los Feliz Village; pile the delicious toppings up on your yogurt and play games provided by Froyo Life.
- Take a leisurely stroll through the beautiful and tranquil campus of the American Film Institue.
- Even teens can join in on the free activities at the Los Feliz Branch Library, which include teen craft and Xbox days as well as storytimes for little ones.
Places featured in this article:
Griffith Park Dog Park
Ferndell Nature Museum
Park Center Merry-Go-Round
Griffith Park Pony Ride
Travel Town Railroad
Los Angeles Live Steamers
Los Feliz AYSO
Spokes N Stuff
The Autry Museum
Rockwell Table and Stage