30 Things to Do with Kids in the Bronx this Summer
There's more to the Bronx than Yankee Stadium. NYC's northernmost borough is home to a melting pot of cultures, a vibrant art and music scene that includes the birthplace of hip-hop, and more green space than any other borough. Not to mention bragging rights for the largest metropolitan zoo in the United States, and NYC's largest park.
Bronxites have much to be proud of, with historic treasures such as Bartow-Pell Mansion and Poe Cottage, access to the Bronx River for canoeing and rowing, countless cultural destinations and of course, Yankee Stadium. With so many places and activities to experience, the Bronx is a great destination for families.
This summer is a great time to get to know the borough better and experience its great outdoor fun, festivals, art and more. Read on for 30 things to do this summer with kids in the Bronx, many of which have been tried and approved by this Bronx mom and her three Bronx-born kids.
Enjoy car-free street fun at Boogie on the Boulevard along Grand Concourse, monthly through August. Photo by Lauren Click/courtesy of the Bronx Museum of the Arts.
1. Enjoy loads of car-free family fun along the iconic Grand Concourse at Boogie on the Boulevard, which takes place on the final Sunday of each month through August.
3. Bike the Bronx over 170 miles of bike paths, lanes and greenways, many of which are car-free.
Get spooked at Poe Cottage. Photo by Coco Mault via Flickr.
5. Experience the annual Hunts Point Fish Parade and Summer Festival on Saturday, June 18.
6. Meander through the The Hall of Fame for Great Americans at Bronx Community College.
7. Experience 19th-century baseball with Take Dad Out to the Ball Game 1864 at Bartow-Pell Mansion on Father's Day, June 19. Mansion tours are available and the picturesque grounds and stunning garden are open year-round.
RELATED: Pelham Bay Neighborhood Kids Guide
Enjoy a pony ride at the Bronx Equestrian Center. Photo by the author.
8. Go horseback riding at the Bronx Equestrian Center.
9. Swim, hit the playgrounds and explore the trails at Van Cortlandt Park. On Tuesday, June 21, catch a special evening concert by the New York Philharmonic.
11. Hit the batting cages and mini golf at Turtle Cove Golf Center.
Storytime at Wave Hill means sitting on the grass and enjoying the outdoors; bring a blanket! Photo by the author.
12. Join in weekend family art projects or garden storytimes at Wave Hill.
14. Head to the Bronx Library Center for a DJ Workshop for Teens on Thursday, July 7.
16. Take in the borough's arts scene with The Bronx Trolley: First Wednesday Arts & Culture Tour.
RELATED: Riverdale Neighborhood Kids Guide
Orchard Beach sizzles in the summer. Photo by Don DeLuca via Flickr.
18. Or for a more laid-back New England fishing village vibe, hitch a ride to City Island on the First Friday Bronx Seaside Trolley.
19. Head to Crotona Park for The Metropolitan Opera Summer Recital Series on Wednesday, July 19.
21. Catch a FREE outdoor movie at the Bronx Terminal Market's annual Rooftop Film Series.
Take a spin aboard a giant bug at the Bronx Zoo. Photo by Sleepyibis via Flickr.
24. On Sunday, July 17, enjoy an afternoon of great entertainment, featuring kindie rock pioneers Recess Monkey, Bronx-based youth band Music With a Message and more. All are invited to jump rope with Double Dutch Dreamz at SummerStage Family Day at St. Mary's Park.
Boating fun in the Bronx River. Photo courtesy of Rocking the Boat.
25. Explore the Bronx River in a unique way—on a rowboat with Rocking the Boat.
26. Don't miss Kids Rule Weekend at Lehman College Saturday, August 6 and Sunday, August 7.
Experience Italian flavor along Arthur Avenue. Photo by snapperurl via Flickr.
Top image: Kids Rule weekend at Lehman College. Photo by Dante Albertie/courtesy of the college.