The back-to-school section has been out for weeks at Target, end-of-summer sales are in full swing and summer packets have been mailed. But rest assured, it may be nearing the last few weeks of freedom but there is still plenty of summer left. Here are our picks for 25 things to do with your kiddos in Fairfield County before summer is over.
1. Port Jeff Ferry – A Fairfield County tradition, head over to Port Jeff on the ferry from Bridgeport for an easy day trip. While in Port Jeff, check out the Maritime Explorium, Port Jefferson Frigate candy and ice cream shop and Lainie’s Way.
2. Maritime Aquarium Cruise - Discover marine biodiversity from the water’s surface on down to the bottom with a first-hand experience of Long Island Sound's marine life aboard an Aquarium Cruise.
3. Longbrook Park Splash Pad – Cool off in the splash pad at Longbrook Park in Stratford after playing on the Vicki Sotto playground. Be sure to keep an eye out for snapping turtles in the pond.
4. Bluefish Game – Take em’ out to the ball game this summer to Bluefish stadium. There are still plenty of freebies to be had.
5. Weir Farm - Tour the historic studios, or take a walk around Weir Pond. You are welcome to set your blanket up anywhere on the grounds and pack a picnic lunch.
6. Stamford Museum and Nature Center – Visit the animals and hike the more than 80 acres of trails surrounding the Stamford Nature Center. After, head to the playground to burn off some energy—its one of our top three favorites in the area.
7. Cranbury Park – Visit Norwalk’s Cranbury Park's 227 acres and discover wooded trails for walking, hiking, or biking. Pack a family picnic to enjoy on the manicured lawn of the Gallaher Estate or under the sheltered pavilion.
8. Lake Mohegan – This Fairfield park offers a lake for swimming and a sprinkler pad perfect for toddlers. The park also has a playground, picnic shelter, and restroom facilities.
9. Calf Pasture - Enjoy the playgrounds, newly added splash pad, and mini golf all situated on 3/4 of a mile of open coastline with beautiful views in Norwalk. Check out one of many special events like the old car shows or concerts and enjoy a meal at Ripkas Beach Cafe.
10. Jennings Beach - This 27 acre Fairfield beach offers visitors a large sandy beach, a concession stand, and bathroom facilities.
11. Slurp down a Stew Leonard’s Milk Shake – strawberry is our favorite!
12. Watch a polo match at the Greenwich Polo Club.
13. Summer Concert Series – So many Fairfield County towns offer outdoor FREE summer concerts. From New Canaan and Stamford to Trumbull and Stratford, summer concerts are a great way to spend an evening with friends and family. (Tip: pack a picnic dinner!)
14. Farmers' Markets – Visit your local farmers' markets for freshly grown produce, baked goods and lemonade. The Fairfield Green Food Guide offers a comprehensive list of area farmers' markets.
15. For some fresh water fishin’, head to the Trumbull VFW youth fishing pond to catch some sunnies or small bass. Or enjoy the shade, bring a picnic and check out river fishing at Indian Wells State Park in Shelton.
16. Bowtie Cinemas Summer Kids' Series (Free Movies) –In both the Stamford & Trumbull locations, check out a FREE kid’s movie on Tuesdays and Wednesday at 10 a.m. through August.
17. CT's Beardsley Zoo – Visit the tigers, prairie dogs and peacocks at Bridgeport’s Beardsley Zoo. And, be sure to check out the new baby Lynx kittens. They are adorable!
18. Sand, Jam and Family Movie Nights - Kick off your evening at 6:30 p.m. with music and dancing on the beach in Fairfield followed by a family friendly movie when the sun goes down.
19. Peanut Butter Jam Concerts Picnic Performances for Kids – For the younger kids enjoy interactive musical foot stompin' performances on the Sherman Green every Wednesday this summer. Pack a picnic! All shows start at 10 a.m.
20. Pick-your-own – With plenty of Pick-Your-Own experiences throughout Fairfield County, like Jones Family Farm in Shelton or Silverman’s Farm in Easton, you’re sure to enjoy some fresh blueberries, raspberries and peaches this summer
21. Pizza Surf Club at Fortina – Enjoy pizza al fresco in Stamford. Oh, and did we mention you’ll be dining on a rooftop in Harbor Point that has been converted into a super fun tiki bar? Your kids will love it. And you will love the water views. Families may want to plan to check out this location before the sunsets.
22. Ride the Cliff Hanger, Bumper Cars and Rip Cord at the Easton Fireman's Carnival.
23. Milford Oyster Festival -- Enjoy great food, entertainment and fun for the whole family at this longstanding Milford tradition. There will be amusement rides, over 200 artisans and plenty of food.
24. SummerStage at the Danbury Fair Mall -- On Tuesday mornings through the middle of August, the Danbury mall plays host to some of the best CT entertainers.
25. Explore one of Fairfield County's Audubon Centers for some outdoor exploration in some of the state's best coastal hideouts.