Yorktown with Kids: 25 Things to Do for Westchester Families
Running along part of the Northern border between Westchester and Putnam Counties, the town of Yorktown is a charming suburban town that brings together some of the best of both counties. Often confused with Yorktown, Virginia (the city for which it is named), Yorktown, New York has a rich Revolutionary War history of its own--cannon balls have even been unearthed at the local elementary school!
Before its days as a strategic Union stronghold, Yorktown was home to a number of Native American tribes whose names are still alive in many of the lakes, reservoirs and nature preserves throughout the area. For today's residents and visitors, Yorktown offers a wealth of activities and experiences that make it a popular town with Westchester families throughout the year.
In August, we'll shine our spotlight on Yorktown (and Yorktown Heights) and all the area has to offer residents and visitors, including the best places to eat, play and learn with kids. And if you're looking for more ways to have fun this summer, be sure to check out our SUMMER OF PLAY series for fantastic ideas--and there's still time to enter the SUMMER OF PLAY Challenge. We kick off our month-long coverage of Yorktown with a look at 25 things to do in the area with kids.
- Run a race, go for a swim, pack a picnic, rent a boat, go to a festival, play some ball or just play outside at Franklin D. Roosevelt State Park.
- Explore the ball pit at My Gym.
- Find fresh eggs, pick your own produce and learn about farm life at Hilltop Hanover.
- Take a hike and look for wildlife at Turkey Mountain Nature Preserve.
- Shop ‘til you drop at the Jefferson Valley Mall.
- Attend a Family BBQ at Peter Pratt’s Inn--situated on George Washington’s 1781 Revolutionary War command post.
- Check out the newly renovated children’s room at the John C. Hart Memorial Library.
- Take in a show at the Yorktown Stage.
- Hear the Taghkanic Chorale perform masterworks of classical chorale music.
- Enjoy some music and movement with Music Together of Northern Westchester.
- Celebrate the arrival of autumn at the Annual Yorktown Festival and Street Fair.
- Kick back, relax and enjoy the FREE summer evening concert series at the John “Jack” DeVito Gazebo.
- Book an unforgettable party at Bounce: The Party Place.
- Walk, ride, jog, scoot or skate along the North County Trailway.
- Learn to kick-turn at the Patriot Skate Park.
- Show your support for arts education and attend one of the outstanding theater productions at Yorktown High School.
- Visit the Yorktown Museum and find out about the historical significance of Yorktown and the Northern Westchester area.
- Take home a blue ribbon at the Grange Fair.
- Stay active with Club Fit Kids Clubs and Camps.
- Get “en pointe” with the Westchester Ballet Center for the Performing Arts.
- Make someone’s birthday wishes come true with a gift from Wishes Boutique.
- Pitch in and pick up trash during the yearly Battle of Yorktown Roadside Litter Clean-up.
- Stop by the historic Yorktown Depot in Railroad Park.
- Take a tour or attend a lecture sponsored by the Yorktown Historical Society.
- Help Fido make friends at the Sylvan Glen Paw Park.
Photo of Native American Festival taken by Anne Marie Rowley.