20 Spring Activities for Westchester Kids
With the weather warming up, now is the time to collect the family, get out of the house, and take advantage of all of the fun springtime activities around Westchester and the Hudson Valley. To help you get the most out of the season, we’ve gathered up this list of the 20 best spring activities for kids in Westchester and the Hudson Valley. Our picks range from spending time in our favorite parks and playgrounds to favorite annual events and some more low-key picks for at-home family fun.
Editor's note: While we are trying to promote safer activities that occur outdoors or with social distancing guidelines in place, please keep your family and others safe by always wearing a mask and practicing social distancing. If you arrive at an event that appears too crowded, try using the “nearby” search feature on our Event Calendar to find something else to do.
Explore the larger-than-life art and wide-open grounds of the Storm King Art Center. Photo by Jenn Terra
2. Check out one of the weekend workshops at the Westchester Children’s Museum but remember to reserve your spot ahead of time.
3. Visit Legoland at Ridge Hill in Yonkers; it's reopening on Friday, March 26.
4. Follow up your Legoland visit with this virtual Lego building contest that runs through March.
Cherry blossoms will be in bloom before you know it at the stunning Harbor Island Park. Photo courtesy of the park
5. Marvel at the gorgeous cherry blossoms at Harbor Island Park, which is also home to one of our favorite local playgrounds.
6. Celebrate the warmer weather at one of the best local ice cream shops in the area.
7. Introduce kids to a new hobby at the Clay Art Center’s Saturday Clay classes.
8. Tuck into some pancakes at Ashokan's Annual Maple Fest.
Pumpkins Screaming About Love Beyond Infinity (2017) is akin to a tiny shrine dedicated to Kusama's obsession with squashes. Photo courtesy of the NYBG
9. Check out the cool, new Kusama: Cosmic Nature exhibit at the New York Botanical Garden, which opens on Saturday, April 10.
10. Conquer the obstacle course at Boundless Adventures; it's great for the 7+ crowd.
11. End your day of adventure by cuddling up on the couch and streaming one of these new kid-friendly movies, TV shows, or virtual concerts.
12. Plan a day at the farm to pick your own strawberries.
Explore the trails at Bear Mountain State Park. Photo by Anne Grego
13. Hit one of the many hiking trails at Bear Mountain State Park and finish off with a visit to the Trailside Zoo.
14. Pump up your tires and go on one of these safe and scenic bike rides.
15. Start your Easter celebrations early with a visit to this Easter Craft Fair and Flea Market.
16. Head out on a guided Spring Equinox Hike at Old Field Preserve in Waccabuc.
The Thunderbirds take to the sky at the Bethpage Air Show. Photo courtesy of the Federal Credit Union
17. End the season at the Bethpage Air Show at Jones Beach.
18. Strap on your boots and explore some of these kid-friendly hiking spots.
19. Go on a culinary adventure at 9a Eats, Westchester's only food truck park.
20. Need to get away? Explore our Guide to Day Trips and Weekend Getaways for inspiration, or check out this list of family-friendly New York hotels for a staycation.
This post, originally published in 2018, has since been updated. All photos courtesy of the venues unless otherwise noted.