Laguna Beach in Orange County is a beach- and art-lovers paradise, well known for scuba diving and gallery exploring. Laguna Beach also has great amenities for kids and many kid-friendly locales and events that make this town a great place for the whole family. Whether you are a local, a daytripper, or you're planning a multi-generational SoCal staycation, there is lots of fun to be had!
1. Take a paddleboard lesson (must be 8 and up and able to swim).
2. Play on some really original playground equipment at Bluebird Park.
3. Visit the Pacific Marine Mammal Rescue Center (free, but donations are welcome).
4. Shop for treats at The Candy Baron; adults will love it too!
5. Join in the daily art projects for all ages at the famous Sawdust Arts and Crafts Festival. (Some may have a materials fee.)
6. Visit Laguna Coast Wilderness Park—check out Nix Nature Center and Barbara's Lake (OC's only natural lake).
7. Attend a free story time or activity at the Laguna Beach Public Library.
8. Main Beach is right downtown and perfect for swimming and bodyboarding.
9. Ride bikes along the beach path. Don't want to bring your own? Laguna Beach Cyclery rents bikes--including kids' push bikes .
10. Catch a show at the Laguna Playhouse; Youth Theatre is for kids, and Theatre for a New Generation is for tweens and teens.
11. Is it a full moon? Check out the full moon drum circle—bring a drum, or just enjoy the evening.
12. Main Beach Toys and Games not only has toys and games; it also offers rentals of umbrellas, chairs, and boogie boards—all just steps from the beach.
13. Festival of the Arts runs through July and August; sign up kids aged 5–12 for classes.
14. Go see a current release movie in an old-style cinema—the South Coast Cinema, right by the beach.
15. Take a kayak tour on the ocean with La Vida Laguna. Kids 3–7 can ride in the middle of a tandem kayak for free.
16. Enjoy Music in the Park on Sundays in July and August. Free, from 5-7pm at Bluebird Park.
17. Spend a day at Crystal Cove State Park, hiking, camping, swimming, surfing, bodyboarding, and tide pooling.
18. Hot and hungry? Get some gelato--or sorbet, or almond milk gelato--at Dolce Gelato. Handmade daily on the premises!
19. Visit the Laguna Art Museum. Kids 12 and under can play the Art Detective game. The Young Artists Society Gallery features work by K-12 students, or come on the third Sunday of the month for the Kids' Art Studio program.
20. Pageant of the Masters—this is live art, but can you tell? Each year has a specific theme, with the show running from July through August (best for older or patient kids).
21. For a great view, visit Alta Laguna Park (aka Top of the World park) and enjoy hiking trails, shaded play structures, tennis courts, covered picnic tables, and basketball courts.
22. Learn a bit about Laguna Beach history at the Laguna Beach Historical Society's Murphy-Smith Bungalow (open Fri-Sun, 1pm-4pm).
23. Stop by the Laguna College of Art and Design Gallery to see the current exhibit. The exhibitions are always free to the public.
24. Grab an authentic beach taco shack lunch at Papa's Tacos (or breakfast, it is served all day). Yes, they have fish tacos!
25. Attend a Laguna Canyon Foundation family hike or other event at one of the local parks.
And when you're finished with all 25 things to do in Laguna Beach, why not head north for 25 things to do in Redondo Beach, or inland for 25 things to do with kids in Anaheim?