10 Ways To Turn a Winter in NJ into Virtual Summer
Now that New Jersey's in a deep freeze, is anyone itching for warm weather, beaches and swimming? While there are plenty of fun winter activities, I can’t help feeling like Olaf and dreaming of everything summer. Don’t let the cold keep you indoors and stop you from doing those summer activities you love. With warm clothing and a little imagination, there are ways to experience summer-type fun in the winter. So get out your bathing suit (perhaps covered with your winter coat), and pretend it’s summer in January.
- Wet your appetite for water play at an indoor water park. New Jersey is home to some awesome ones, including Sahara Sam’s Oasis Indoor Water Park and Coco Key Water Resort.
- Just want to go for a swim? Stop by your local YMCA or JCC and inquire about guest passes for the indoor pool.
- Get your thrills without chills on indoor amusement park rides. Hop on the Super Twister and bumper cars at The Funplex or the Kite Flyer and Dizzy Dragons at iPlay America.
- Spend a day at Point Pleasant without the summer crowds and sunburn. Play arcade games at Jenkinson’s, and visit Jenkinson’s Aquarium any time of the year. Plus, you can bundle up and play on the beach for free.
- Does mini golf remind you of summer vacation? Make it a winter memory too at New Jersey’s indoor mini golf courses.
- If the animals aren’t hibernating, neither should you. Dress warm and stop by one of New Jersey’s year-round zoos, including Turtle Back Zoo, Cape May County Zoo and Cohanzick Zoo.
- Saddle up for horse riding, even in the winter, at a year-round horse farm, including Kafka Farms and Dapple Hill Farm, which offer both indoor and outdoor riding facilities.
- Do you want to build a sand castle? Not quite the beach, but you can play with sand indoors with the sand table at Trailside Nature & Science Center or a full sand play room at Imagine That.
- Become one with nature, even when it’s too cold to venture out. The Garden State’s nature centers offer indoor classes for all ages throughout the winter. Throw on warm layers, and you can even journey outdoors on a nature hike.
- Ice cream in the winter? Don’t mind if I do. Treat yourself to a winter sundae at one of New Jersey’s yummiest ice cream joints. Many are open all year.