15 Fun Things To Do with Westchester Kids on Columbus Day
Didn’t school just start?
While it’s not a holiday that’s recognized nationwide, many schools in Westchester and the Lower Hudson Valley will indeed be closed for Columbus Day on Monday, October 8, 2018. Lucky for you, we’ve gathered up some of the best things to do in our area on that day, including some of our favorite fall activities. Many of the farms that are traditionally open only on weekends are up and running on Columbus Day.
Use our list to plan a fun family day, and be sure to sign up for our newsletters to have these ideas delivered straight to your inbox.
Harvest Moon will be offering hayrides on Columbus Day. Photo courtesy of the farm
1. Go on a hayride—it finally feels like fall!
2. Enjoy one of the last full-fledged carnivals of the season at the annual Eastchester Columbus Day Carnival and Parade (October 5–8).
3. Take your little train fans to the Lasdon Park Halloween Train Show.
4. Head over to Orange County for Pumpkinfest, an annual Columbus Day tradition in Pine Island.
Futuristic metal sculptures are a beautiful addition to daytime leaf-peeping at Lyndhurst.
5. Head to Lyndhurst Castle to see the new exhibit Futurescape.
6. Prefer a tour instead? Lyndhurst, all done up in the Halloween spirit, is hosting “Lyndhurst Tours with a Halloween Twist” on Monday.
The Great Jack O' Lantern Blaze is always a huge hit! Photo courtesy of Historic Hudson Valley
Lantern Blaze is al
7. Keep ‘em up a little late for the Great Jack O’Lantern Blaze. At the time of this posting, there were still tickets left for the last few times slots on Monday evening.
8. Pick pumpkins and make crafts at Hilltop Hanover Farm.
9. Channel your child's inner princesses at the Princess-Themed Pretend Play at Lil’Chameleon.
Fishkill Farm is open on Columbus Day for apple picking and many other activities and treats!
10. Get your apples before the trees are picked clean!
11. Select the perfect pumpkin.
12. Bring the under-11 set to Legoland Discovery Center for their Brick or Treat! event on Sunday or Monday.
13. Get into the Halloween spirit with An Evening with Edgar Allan Poe.
14. Get that family teamwork going with a trek through a corn maze.
15. Go on a taste-test for the best apple cider doughnut.
This post has been updated for 2018.