Located on the banks of the Boston Harbor, Charlestown has become increasingly popular for young families due to its proximity to the city and neighborhood feel. Made famous by several landmarks like the Bunker Hill Monument and Old Ironsides, Charlestown offers plenty to do for kids in all seasons. It's hard to believe this 'hood is only one square mile!
1. Visit the world famous USS Constitution Museum. Open all year round. Make sure to check the website for special events and don't miss the museum shop on your way out. 24 5th Street | (617) 426-1842
2. "Don't fire until you see the white's of their eyes!" The Battle of Bunker Hill is in every history book. Join a tour or go on your own. Bring a picnic blanket and enjoy the gorgeous grounds. If you want to climb to the top, make sure to get a pass first at the museum. 43 Monument Square | (617) 242-7275
3. The Courageous Sailing Club located in the Navy Yard offers instructional classes for kids or, book your own boat and brave the harbor as a family.
4. Take a class at BabyCakes of Charlestown. Choose from an array of options like "Messy Munchkins" "Petite Picassos" "Tiny Ballerinas" and "Hip Hop." 314 Main Street | (617) 548-1504
5. Go to a Baby Wiggle Little Groove class at Charlestown Yoga. 191 Main Street
6. Go fishing with Fishing Frenzy Charters. 28 Constitution Road | (617) 275-6670
7. Grab a snack at local favorite, Zume's Coffee House. There's a reading nook just for kids and fun treats to choose from; or go healthy with a Kale and Mango pouch and apple juice! Psst: please leave your strollers outside. 223 Main Street (617) 242-0038
8. Eat lunch at Paul Revere's favorite and most historic tavern in America, The Warren Tavern, erected in 1780! 2 Pleasant Street | (617) 241-8142
9. Stroll the Charlestown Harborwalk which offers a range of historic, recreational, and natural attractions with beautiful views across the water.
10. Choose from a plethora of playgrounds in the one square mile!
11. Sign up for a Super Soccer Stars class. 1 Thompson Square, Suite 301 | (781) 777-7171
12. Read books in the children's section of the Charlestown Branch of the Boston Public Library. Toddler story hour and events are offered at various times throughout the year. 179 Main Street | (617) 242-1248
13. Stop by local store, Olivia Browning and say hi to owner Abby Grey. After picking out a souvenir, make sure to pick Abby's brain! (She knows all things Charlestown.)
14. Get to know the Charlestown Mother's Association. They plan amazing events like "Touch a Truck Day," an annual Easter Egg Hunt complete with food and activities, and an epic Halloween celebration.
15. Take a swim class at the Charlestown YMCA. 150 Third Avenue | (617) 286-1220
16. Check out the Charlestown Working Theater. They provide high-quality theater and art classes to youth free of charge. 442 Bunker Hill Street | (617) 242-3285
17. Browse the brand new Whole Foods and look for special events for kids like sushi-making! Say hi to Marketing Manager Nora Daniels, she can tell you what's up next. 51 Austin Street | (617) 337-9700
18. Don't forget that kids eat free at the Nighty-Nine when Boston's favorite baseball team wins. 29-31 Austin Street | (617) 242-8999
19. Visit the Sullivan Square Community Garden, a peaceful buffer between Main Street & Bunker Hill street. Visitors are welcome to explore it through meandering paths.
20. B.Y.O.B - Bring Your Own Baby to Barre at Charlestown Yoga. Thursdays from 10-11am. Or check out the Mama and Me class on Wednesdays at the same time. The studio also offers a prenatal class on Sundays and workshops throughout the year for expecting parents. Say hi to the owner. Oh, wait - that's me! 191 Main Street | (617) 241-0824
Photo Courtesy: Charlestown Bridge