Spring in Litchfield County: 10 Things To Do with Kids
It's spring, as we can see by the daffodils' bright yellow show. Litchfield County is known for its natural rural beauty, and these coming weeks will be sure to visually delight. This time of year I love to prune a few forsythia branches and bring them inside to enjoy the blooms. With the warmer weather, it's also a great time to get out and enjoy some nature-inspired activities with the kids. Here's a list of 10 things to do in Litchfield County this spring. We've written about fun spring activities in Fairfield County too. And for loads more springtime fun, make sure to check out our CT Spring Fun Guide.
1. Meet 21 different birds of prey at Sharon Audubon Center's raptor exhibit, including a bald eagle and great horned owl. Take a hike through one of its many beautiful nature paths. Head into the museum to see more fun animals and areas to play.
2. Visit a model solar system that scans six miles built to scale at the John J. McCarthy Observatory in New Milford.
3. Go geocaching at the Little Pond Trail at White Memorial Conservation Center.
4. On a Saturday afternoon, tour the lovely Arethusa Farm & Dairy farm in Litchfield. Make sure to stop and get homemade ice cream in a freshly made waffle cone at its beautiful dairy store at 822 Bantam Road in Bantam.
5. Take the little ones to story hour at the Litchfield Hills Farm Fresh Market, and then shop for local fresh produce along with local jams, granola,salsa, bread, etc.
6. Check out the daffodil display on Wigwam Road in Litchfield. It's a lovely daffodil garden that began in the 1930s and covers a few acres, including the little island in the middle of the pond. Great spring photo-op!
7. Get centered while walking a seven-circuit labyrinth at the Wisdom House in Litchfield.
8. See a live snake habitat and fluorescent rock cave in the children’s room at White Memorial Conservation Center, and then take a hike along a boardwalk trail though a wetland environment.
Places featured in this article:
John J McCarthy Observatory