Campground-Bound: Where to Go Camping with Kids near Philly
With spring in full swing and summer fast approaching, plans to go camping near Philadelphia are in the works for many area families. Regardless of experience level -- first-timers or veterans, bare-bones campers, or real-deal glampers -- the suggestions below have you covered.
Almost all of these campgrounds are 2.5 hours or less from Center City, with a range of amenities from "just the basics" to luxury campsites with pools, playgrounds, and WiFi. Everything from KOA campgrounds to RV campgrounds to campgrounds with cabins makes this list. Check out our Guide to Philly Family Day Trips Weekend Getaways for more quick vacay ideas, and don't forget to subscribe to our newsletters.
Family-Friendly Campgrounds in Pennsylvania
341 Sousley Road
This family spot offers fun for every age. From pools and fishing ponds to vintage cars and firetruck rides, Blue Rocks Family Campground provides a wide variety of activities. Situated on 100 acres, this spot is close to Hawk Mountain, Dorney Park, Crystal Cave, and the Crayola Factory. The camping season opens on Easter weekend.
- Lodging types: RV, tent, cabins, cottages
- Amenities include a rec hall, snack bar, propane station, fire rings, picnic tables, restrooms, a general store filled with groceries, ice, fishing and camping supplies, laundromat services, golf carts
- Family activities include a swimming pool, fishing pond, hiking trails, playground, game room, basketball, volleyball, gaga pit, and horseshoes.
2200 Rosstown Road
Situated in northern York county about 2 hours from Philly, Gifford Pinchot is one of the many parks that are part of the Pennsylvania State Park System. The Pennsylvania State Park System offers a first-time camper program, a program for anyone who has never camped in a state park. Included in the deal are two nights of camping, a four-person tent rental, four sleeping pads, four camp chairs, four hot dog roasting sticks, a flashlight, and a camp stove for $20. Gifford Pinchot is one of thirteen parks offering this deal.
- Lodging types: tent, modern cabins, yurts, camping cottages
- Amenities include 339 campsites with water and electric hook-ups, access to bathrooms and showers, and an outdoor amphitheater
- Family fun includes 18 miles of hiking trails, 4 miles of biking trails, Pinchot Lake for boating and swimming, beach, horseback riding, disc golf
RELATED: Poconos Family Vacation Guide
Camping allows kids to get in some much-needed unplugged fun. Photo by author
1150 Allentown Road
Green Lane, Pennsylvania
Located on a peaceful and beautiful 31-acre campground, Homestead Family Campground offers weekend getaways as well as monthly and seasonal rates. The pool was closed for renovations but is due to reopen in the 2022 season.
- Lodging: RV and tent camping
- Amenities include bathhouses and an on-site laundromat
- Family activities include a fishing pond, pool, and playground
129 Lentz Trail
Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania
Though not as private as state park camping can be, "full-service" campgrounds like the Jim Thorpe Camping Resort can be an excellent starting point for new campers and those with little ones. This family-owned and operated location is just 90 minutes outside of Philly in the Poconos. Waterfalls, a butterfly sanctuary, boating, and historic railroads are all nearby.
- Lodging: tents, family cabins, camping cabins, RV
- Amenities include picnic tables, a fire ring, free WiFi, an open-air pavilion
- Family fun includes swimming, nearby whitewater rafting, playgrounds, wine and cheese tastings (with cookies and juice for kids)
1639 Marshalls Creek Road
East Stroudsburg, PA
A year-round destination in the Poconos, Otter Lake Camp Resort offers all the bells and whistles and is located near many attractions such as Steamtown, Camelbeach Mountain Waterpark, and National Canal Museum & The Emrick Technology Center.
- Lodging: tent camping, RV
- Amenities include boat rentals, church services, live entertainment
- Family activities include an indoor pool, outdoor pool, beach, tennis courts, racquetball courts, basketball court, bingo, and horseshoe pit
Get rustic at Ringing Rocks Campground.
75 Woodland Drive
Upper Black Eddy, Pennsylvania
Nestled in the wooded hills of historic Bucks County, Ringing Rocks Campground is near Ringing Rocks County Park, which contains 10-foot-high rock piles that make ringing sounds when struck. The campground is also a short drive from Nockamixon State Park.
- Lodging: RV, cabin, and tent camping
- Amenities include free Wi-Fi hotspot, restrooms with showers, a laundromat,
- Family fun includes horseshoe pits, hayrides, a heated swimming pool, a kiddie pool with water features, a playground, volleyball and basketball courts
239 Hibernia Road
Situated in Chester County and bordering the Brandywine River, Turtle Ridge provides a true retreat. Both French Creek State Park and Hopewell Furnace National Historic Site are within a short drive from the campground.
- Lodging: tent
- Amenities include picnic tables, WiFi, potable water
- Family fun includes fishing, biking, hiking, wildlife watching
8308 Covered Bridge Rd
Bucks County is home to Tohickon Family Campground which is located on 54 wooded acres nestled alongside Tohickon Creek. Sesame Place, Lost River Caverns, Dorney Park, and Peddler's Village are nearby.
- Lodging: tent camping
- Amenities include a general store, gift shop, bathhouse, free WiFi
- Family fun includes swimming, playground, game room
Adventure Bound Camping Resort in Tall Pines has its own pool.
Kid-Friendly Campgrounds in New Jersey
49 Beal Road
Elmer, New Jersey
Located on 113 acres, Adventure Bound Camping Resort offers families plenty of fun. This is one of many locations throughout the country including spots in Cape May, NJ, Oak Creek, PA, and Robesonia, PA.
- Lodging: tent, RV, rustic cabins, deluxe cabins, lodges
- Amenities include playgrounds, sports courts, laundry, WiFi, free cable television
- Family fun includes a gaga pit, swimming pool with water slide, themed entertainment, fishing
Summer 2022 info: The Atsion Cabins are closed for the 2022 season due to a major capital improvement project.
This family campground is located in Wharton State Forest, the largest state forest in NJ with more than 125,000 acres. About an hour's drive from Philadelphia and 30 minutes from Atlantic City and nearby shore points, Wharton State Forest includes nine campgrounds varying in amenities and method of access. Atsion Family Campground is a good place to start, where campers can settle in one of 50 tent or trailer sites.
- Lodging: tent, trailer
- Amenities include fire pits, bathrooms, showers, picnic tables
- Family fun includes hiking, boating, recreation area, swimming, nearby historic village that features a tour of Atsion Mansion and Village
360 Butterfly Road
Families are sure to stay busy at Butterfly Camping Resort. Boasting over 20 amenities, this family-run business has been providing recreation and fun for 24 years. In addition to all that the campground offers, families can find excitement at nearby attractions such as Six Flags Great Adventure and the Butterfly Bogs State Refuge.
- Lodging: tents, trailers, RV, cabin, cottages
- Amenities include picnic tables, fire ring, WiFi, full hook up, shaded lots, gift shop, laundromat
- Family fun includes fishing, swimming, mini-golf, special activities including arts & crafts, themed weekend events
158 Woodstown-Daretown Road
As one may suspect from the name, this campground is open spring, summer, winter, and fall. Many attractions are nearby for vacations such as Cowtown, Fort Mott, and Finn's Point Lighthouse. Families can even bring Fido along for this trip.
- Lodging: tent, cabin, RVs
- Amenities include picnic tables, fire rings, coinless laundry, camp store, Sundae Restaurant, free WiFi hot spots, firewood, dog park
- Family activities include a swimming pool, sun deck, sand volleyball, playground, arcade, fishing
2555 Route 9
Ocean View, NJ
This camping spot can be found along the Jersey shore! Like the Pocono Mountains, the shore offers many family-friendly campgrounds with all the bells and whistles. Just inland from Sea Isle City and a little over an hour from Philly, the Ocean View Resort Campground is one of them. Ocean View is a glamper’s paradise, so kids may not even realize they are camping.
- Lodging: tent, trailer, cabin, cottage
- Amenities include three playgrounds, two arcades, tennis courts, paddle boat rental, ATM, WiFi, cafe, pavilion
- Family activities include a fishing pond, swimming pool, splash pad, beach, yoga, bingo, crafts, movies, musical entertainment
148 Main Street
West Creek, NJ
Another Jersey shore spot, Sea Pirate Campground provides families with tons of activities suitable for all ages. The beach is just a short drive away. Guests can download an app with all the latest information including an online check-in option.
- Lodging: tent, cabins, cottages
- Amenities include restrooms, hot showers, dog park, arcade, store, playground, activity hall
- Family fun includes crabbing, fishing, canoeing, kayaking, bike rentals, swimming, volleyball, movies, bingo, crafts, hayrides
Pitch a tent on the lake at Cape Henlopen State Park.
Campgrounds for Families in Delaware
35567 Big Oaks Lane
Rehoboth Beach, DE
Less than three miles from the beach, families can embrace all this campground has to offer. Families can expect to stay active with both land and sea options. Modern conveniences are just a short drive away. The summer season typically runs from early May until early October. Check the site for updates.
- Lodging: tent, trailer, RV, cabin, mobile home
- Amenities include a fire ring, restrooms, picnic tables, basketball courts, laundromat, game room, playground, camp store, free WiFi
- Family fun includes swimming, hiking, biking, basketball, horseshoes, shuffleboard, billiards
15099 Cape Henlopen Drive
Cape Henlopen State Park is where the ocean meets the bay making for a great vacation destination. In addition to water fun, vacationers can expect hiking, history at Fort Miles Historic Site, and educational opportunities at Seaside Nature Center. The campground is situated in pine-covered dunes.
- Lodging: tent, RV, cabins
- Amenities include a bait and tackle shop, picnic tables, playground, laundromat, guarded beach with bathhouse, pet area, umbrella rentals, observation tower, borrow-a-bike program
- Family fun includes swimming, fishing, biking, hiking, canoeing, disc golf, kayaking, summer camps
39415 Inlet Road
Rehoboth Beach, DE
This park is surrounded by water, including the Atlantic Ocean, Rehoboth Bay, and Indian River. This makes for lots of refreshing fun for the family. Indian River Life-Saving Station Historic Site and Museum, Burton Island Nature Preserves, and Thompson Island Nature Preserves are located nearby.
- Lodging: tent, RV
- Amenities include a beach, boat launch, picnic tables, pet area, umbrella rentals, equestrian trails, restrooms, showers, gift shop, restaurant
- Family fun includes hiking, biking, trails, swimming, crabbing, fishing, kayaking, hunting, clamming, windsurfing
25165 Prettyman Road
Take a break at this family-friendly campground. With plenty of nearby attractions, guests can decide whether to stay a night, a week, or the entire season. This is a preferred camping spot for Sports on the Beach patrons. The camping season runs from May 1 through September 30 each year.
- Lodging: tent, RV, cabins
- Amenities include a game room, 1 adult pool, 1 family pool, kids' sprinkler pad, playground, corn hole, horseshoe pits, laundry facilities, dog park, camp store, batting cages, community pavilion, and WiFi
- Family fun includes fishing, swimming, on-site entertainment
5025 Killens Pond Road
With a nature preserve and water park, there is no doubt that camping at Killens Pond State Park will be a vacation to remember. Families can enjoy the outdoors by watching wildlife, boating, hiking, and biking trails. There is even a conference center and meeting space for reunions, youth group trips, and the like.
- Lodging: tents, RV, cabins
- Amenities include baseball fields, disc golf course, food concessions, horseshoe pits, store, firewood sales, playground, picnic tables, restrooms, summer camps
- Family fun includes boating, fishing, geocaching, swimming, nature programs, birding
This article has been updated for 2022.
Unless noted, photos courtesy of the campgrounds