Nyack with Kids: 25 Things to Do for Westchester Families
Nyack holds a very special place in my heart. As a child I remember hunting for the treasure rumored to be buried along the river on the way to Hook Mountain and playing on the shores of the Hudson River. I hunted for arrowheads among the rocks, skipped stones across the river and looked for glowing fish (the river wasn’t nearly as clean then as it is now!). Later, as teenager growing up in Rockland County, it was where I hung out in coffee shops for hours on end, hopped from rock to rock to find beaches that only exist at low tide and went for dessert and cappuccinos with my future spouse the night before leaving for college.
Just across from Westchester's Rivertowns, across the Tappan Zee Bridge, Nyack is an artistic hot spot that draws in families from all around the Metro Area for long days or weekends of small-town culture. Steeped in American historical significance as far back as the 1600s (and of Native American importance way before that!), Nyack has been making its mark on the arts and culture scene for more than a century. It is well known for its small galleries, cutting edge theatre and a very live-and-let-live mindset that retains flavors of the 1960s and 70s. Families will love the walkable downtown, the frequent street fairs, the diversity of children’s music and theatre options, the opportunities for outdoor exploration and the restaurants and cafes that cater to all tastes.
In October, we will take a closer look at Nyack and everything it has to offer residents and visitors. We'll explore where to eat, play and have fun, starting with a look at 25 things to do with kids in the area.
- Explore the playground and butterfly house at Memorial Park.
- Hike along the Nyack Beach path to the base of Hook Mountain.
- Get on stage at the Helen Hayes Youth Theater.
- Admire the beautiful plots at the Nyack Community Garden or try out your own green thumb with a half plot!
- Show off your costume at the yearly Halloween Parade.
- Buy fresh veggies year round at the Nyack Farmer’s Market.
- Enjoy a day on the town during the recurring Nyack Street Fairs.
- Grab breakfast to go at The Runcible Spoon.
- Help your child relax with yoga classes at the Birchwood Center.
- Tour the Sculpture Park or take a class at Rockland Center for the Arts.
- Visit the Edward Hopper House and learn about art and history.
- Take in the yearly July 4th fireworks display right over the Hudson River.
- Celebrate First Fridays with interactive street art and museum tours.
- Ride on the indoor ferris wheel, hit the movies, go bowling and so much more at Palisades Center.
- Walk along Old Erie…the former pathway of the Erie Railroad.
- Kick off the Holiday Season with Nyack’s yearly Holiday Lights program.
- Taste the world famous Maple Bacon, Salted Caramel or Vanilla donuts at Gypsy Donut and Espresso Bar.
- Browse through the children’s books at The Pickwick Book Shop--you never know what you’ll find there!
- Learn about all things apples at the yearly Applefest in Memorial Park.
- Take in a show with the ArtsRock Milk and Cookies Playhouse series.
- Indulge in some ice cream (or a full meal!) at Temptations Café.
- Satisfy a sweet tooth at Patisserie Didier Dumas.
- Foster a life long love of reading with the Nyack Library’s unique children’s programs.
- Paint your own keepsakes at Jill's Ceramics.
- Stop for breakfast at The Strawberry House.