The Mermaid Parade
The Mermaid Parade is the largest art parade in the nation - and 2020 marks its 38th anniversary.
A celebration of ancient mythology and honky-tonk rituals of the seaside, the Mermaid Parade showcases over 1,500 creative individuals from all over the five boroughs and beyond, opening the summer with incredible art, entrepreneurial spirit and community pride. The parade highlights Coney Island Pageantry based on a century of many Coney parades, celebrates the artistic vision of the masses, and ensures that the summer season is a success by bringing hundreds of thousands of people to the amusement area in a single day.
Interested in marching? Register in advance.
* The Parade starts at West 21st Street and Surf Avenue.
* The Parade it rolls east to West 10th Street.
* At West 10th Street, the Parade turns south towards the boardwalk.
* Cars and Motorized Floats continue down Surf Ave., passing W. 10th Street, and exit the parade.
* At the Boardwalk, the marchers and push-pull floats turn west and head towards West 17th St.
* At Steeplechase Plaza, the Parade disbands.