On three consecutive Saturdays in August, nearly seven miles of NYC's streets are opened for people to play, run, walk and bike. Summer Streets provides space for healthy recreation and encourages New Yorkers to use more sustainable forms of transportation.
Held from 7am to 1pm, Summer Streets extends from the Brooklyn Bridge to Central Park, along Park Avenue and connecting streets, with easy access from all points in New York City, allowing participants to plan a trip as long or short as they wish. All activities at Summer Streets are free of charge, and designed for people of all ages and ability levels to share the streets respectfully.
Programming is offered at five rest stops:
- Uptown (51st Street & Park Avenue)
- Midtown (25th Street and Park Avenue)
- Astor Place (Astor Place and Lafayette Street)
- SoHo (Spring Street and Lafayette Street)
- Foley Square (Duane Street and Centre Street).