On three consecutive Saturdays in August, nearly seven miles of NYC's streets are opened for people to play, run, walk and bike. There are plenty of fun, interactive stations, including a zip line.
Summer Streets provides space for healthy recreation and encourages New Yorkers to use more sustainable forms of transportation.
Held from 7am to 1pm, Summer Streets extends from the Brooklyn Bridge to Central Park, along Park Avenue and connecting streets, with easy access from all points in New York City, allowing participants to plan a trip as long or short as they wish. All activities at Summer Streets are free of charge, and designed for people of all ages and ability levels to share the streets respectfully.
Programming is offered at five rest stops:
- Uptown (51st Street & Park Avenue) - Kids fitness zone with free bike rentals and special activities - including Parkour (8/3), obstacle courses (8/10) and Play Mobile fun (8/17).
- Midtown (25th Street and Park Avenue) - Stop by the City Picnic’s Food & Beverage Sampling Zone for yummy treats and refreshing beverages. Grab free samples from vendors throughout the day.
- Astor Place (Astor Place and Lafayette Street) - Dance and a bicycle playground.
- 4th Ave (between 8th & 9th Streets) - Gazillion Bubble Show
- SoHo (Spring Street and Lafayette Street) - Rock wall, dog park and agility course.
- Foley Square (Duane Street and Centre Street) - Zip line and street games