Exhibit: Age of the Dinosaurs at Long Island Children's Museum
The "Age of the Dinosaurs" exhibit features animatronic prehistoric creatures that look, move, and make sounds as they are believed to have millions of years ago.
Visitors will be able to view the cast of a juvenile Apatosaurus fossil found more than 80 years ago in Oklahoma in the Museum’s lobby. A reconstructed three feet tall and 10-foot long dinosaur are also display during the exhibit’s stay at the Children’s Museum.
During the exhibit’s Opening Weekend (Jan. 22-23 from noon-2 p.m.), visitors can create Pterodactyl flyers, make a hatching baby dinosaur and mold their own clay fossil impression to take home.
Additionally on Sunday, Jan. 23 the LICM Theater will host two performances (11:30 a.m. and 2 p.m.) by Danny “Dinosaur” Weinkauf and the Red Pants Band.
LICM will continue to offer free public programs to complement the exhibit experience throughout its run, including:
- Dining Dinos (Saturday, Jan. 29, Sunday, Feb. 27, and Sunday, March 27 from noon to 2 p.m.) Create your own hungry dinosaur with a movable mandible.
- Jurassic Jars (Sunday, Feb. 13 from noon to 2 p.m.) Make a light-up jar with a prehistoric landscape, complete with some very special dinosaur friends.
- Fascinating Fossil (Sunday, Feb. 20 from noon to 2 p.m.) Mold a clay fossil impression.
- Over the Top Triceratops Puppet (Monday, Feb. 21 through Friday, Feb. 25 from noon to 2 p.m.) Design your own hand puppet of this most recognizable dinosaur, complete with its unique frill and three horns.
- Ponder with a Paleontologist (Saturday, Feb. 26 from noon to 2 p.m.) Meet paleontologist Dr. Mike D’Emic as he explains his job and why he made a career out of dinosaurs.
- Musical Dino Shakers (Sunday, March 6 from noon-2 p.m.) Stomp on in to make a brightly colored musical brachiosaurus shaker to take home.
- Happy Hatchlings (Sunday, March 13 from noon-2 p.m.) Make a hatching baby dinosaur to take home.
NOTE: Winter hours (Beginning Jan. 22, 2022): Tuesday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Saturday-Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The first hour of every day (10-11 a.m.) is reserved for LICM members only.