Kick off the year of the Earth Pig with family and friends! Celebrate Losar, the Himalayan New Year, with an afternoon of art, music, and food. Learn about traditional Losar celebrations, go on a family tour of the galleries, listen to Himalayan music, and more.
- Combine art and science to make a sparkling stone geode that embodies the Earth element’s characteristics of stability and strength.
- Embody this year’s astrological sign, the Earth Pig, using the natural materials of soil and rice.
- Take inspiration from traditional winter bouquets, or metok, and create your own paintings using ears of barley.
- Create your own prayer flags with your personal intentions and prayers for the new year.
- Discover new dimensions in the Rubin’s art collection with a Losar-themed Gallery Exploration.
- Contemporary Tibetan artisans work with Himalayan new year traditions to create beautiful artworks and stories.