Kick off the year of the Earth Dog with your family and friends! Celebrate Losar, the Himalayan New Year, with an afternoon of art, music, and food. Learn about traditional Losar celebrations, go on a family tour of the galleries, listen to Himalayan music, and more.
- Add your intentions for the New Year to your own tarjok inspired Wishing Tree.
- Take inspiration from traditional guthuk, the noodle soup eaten on the eve of Losar, by making a doughy divination with ingredients symbolizing your wishes for the future.
- Embody the Earth Dog by painting with nature’s most basic element - mud!
- Take your art-making to the Rubin’s galleries and sketch out your past, present, and future on Divination Cards next to the Tibetan astrological manuscript, the White Beryl.
- Discover new dimensions in the Rubin’s collections with a Losar-themed scavenger hunt.
- Interact with down-to-earth therapy dogs.
- Try traditional Losar treats like khapse pastries and butter tea.
- Live musicians will perform sounds from the Himalayas.