Help fill a community fridge!
Community fridges across New York City help families that are the hardest to reach get the food they need. Turn volunteering into a fun family event and help other NYC families get healthy produce that otherwise would have gone to waste by delivering fresh produce to community fridges in The Bronx and Upper Manhattan.
The pandemic has highlighted the prevalence of food insecurity in NYC. But it's also brought out New Yorkers' indominable spirit. In the past year, community fridges have popped up all over the city, providing free food for those in need.
Mott Haven Fridges saves produce that otherwise would go to waste from the Hunts Point Terminal Market and helps get it delivered to over 18 different community hubs throughout Uptown Manhattan & The Bronx. You can help!
Mott Haven Fridge makes it easy and fun to help feed fellow New Yorkers. Here's how it works:
- Fill out this form. Select "driving donated food" and Saturdays.
- Someone will reach out with volunteer slots.
- On Saturday you drive to1925 Turnbull Avenue in Castle Hill, The Bronx.
- Volunteers will load up your car with donated fresh produce and give you the locations of a few community fridges of your choice in Upper Manhattan & The Bronx.
- Drop off the food at the fridges.
- Feel great all week knowing you made a huge difference in dozens of people's lives.
No car, no problem. They will even reimburse you for Zipcar rental, gas and tolls, if needed.