This tribute to the life and legacy of a first-grader lost at Sandy Hook is a free community festival that honors Catherine Hubbard’s life and her pursuit of compassion and kindness for animals and all beings.
Last year, over 3,000 attended the event and over 50 homeless pets were successfully adopted and found loving new homes.
Featuring a full day of exciting activities for adults, kids, and furry family members, highlights of the event will include:
• 20+ regional animal shelters & rescues featuring over 100 adoptable pets
• Personalities from Connoisseur Media’s WEZN-FM Star 99.9 and live music from LaFrance Acoustic
• Live CT State Trooper K-9 demonstration
• Educational seminars + demonstrations by: Magic Wings Butterfly Conservatory; Backyard Bees “Bee Kind”; Animal Embassy; Audubon at Bent of the River; Livingston Ripley Waterfowl Conservancy; Horizon Wings Raptor Rehabilitation & Education, and more
• Special guest, Elana K. Arnold, author of A Boy Called Bat and Bat and the Waiting Game will sign books and meet fans from 1-3pm.
• Face painting, games, and crafts
• Pet portraits + butterfly photo booth
• Local vendors featuring pet-related products for purchase
• Food trucks, treats, and snacks galore
Over 20 local animal shelters and rescues will participate and over 100 homeless pets will be on site at the event to meet and greet families interested in adoption. This year’s animal rescue and shelter partners include: Adopt-a-Dog, Inc., Animal Welfare Society, Inc., Animal Rescue Fund of the Hamptons, ASPCA, BeFreegle Foundation, Companion Pet Rescue, CT Humane Society, CT Parrot Rescue, Danbury Animal Welfare Society, Fur-Gotten Tails Animal Rescue, Furry Friends Foster & Rescue, Gimme Shelter Animal Rescue, House Rabbit Connection, Inc., Long Island Bulldog Rescue, Looking Glass Animal Rescue, One Dog at a Time Rescue, PawSafe Animal Rescue, Perfect Imperfections Rescue, PetRescue, Pets Alive, Red Leash Rescue, Rowanwood Farm, Thank Dog Rescue, and Animal Support: CT SART (CT State Animal Response Team).
Jenny Hubbard, Catherine’s mother, spoke about the inspiration behind this annual event. “Catherine had a natural ability to connect with and care for animals. She loved being in their presence and would whisper to them, “Tell all your friends I am kind.” Every year, Catherine asked for a birthday party that would bring all of her favorite creatures together, and with Catherine’s Butterfly Party, that wish is fulfilled.”