Christmas is here, and with it comes school break. While it's nice to kick back and relax from busy December schedules, it can be stressful to be the social planner for your family in the midst of the holiday season. Thankfully, there is no shortage of fun and easy things to do in the Boston area, including these 20 prime picks. From artsy explorations to Fanastic Beasts scavenger hunts to DIY candy cane mazes, there's no shortage of ways to nip "I'm bored" in the bud all week long.
And don't forget to check out our events calendar and Holiday Fun Guide for even more ways to spend some time with your little ones this season!
1. Stroll through the Stone Zoo to see it all decked out in holiday lights and even snap a pic with a real live reindeer at ZooLights. If you plan your visit for December 28th, dress up in your princess finest for a special meet and greet Elsa and Anna!
2. If you're kiddies are really digging the sparkly lights, take a family drive to see some of the most elaborate holiday light home displays and neighborhoods in the area.
3. Marvel at a good enough to eat display of gingerbread houses created by Boston's most delicious landscape and architect firms.
4. For a different Boston Pops experience, watch the classic holiday movie Home Alone on the big screen, accompanied by a live orchestra and chorus!
5. and speaking of the Pops, if you can't make a show, head over to Faneuil Hall to be dazzled by the Blink! light show choreographed to the music of the Boston Pops.
6. Take your little prince or princess to watch a magical fairytale unfold live on stage at Rodgers + Hammerstein's Cinderella.
7. Or, grab tickets and get ready to sing along with Mickey Mouse and all of his friends at Disney on Ice: 100 Years of Magic.
8. If you have J.K. Rowlings fans in your fam, dress up as your favorite character from the Wizarding World and hit the Museum of Natural History for a Fantastic Beasts scavenger hunt.
9. For animal lovers, visits Winterfest Way Cooler than Zoo Style all break long for close encounters with animals like snakes and alligators.
10. All aboard the Christmas train at Edaville where your kiddos will ooh and ahh over millions of lights and decorations and get to hit the rides at Thomasland!
11. Sign your kiddos up to bake and decorate delicious holiday cookies at Tastebuds Kitchen – and they won't mess up your kitchen!
12. Tis' the season to celebrate, so why not swing by the Boston Children's Museum for a family dance party, complete with a live DJ, dance lessons, and games.
13. For budding engineers, drop in to Metropolitan Waterworks Museum to design a candy cane maze!
14. Cheer on Peter and his friends as they work to capture the wolf at this marionette puppet show.
15. Take a walk along the water when it's transformed into a magical winter wonderland for the annual Ice Sculpture Stroll.
16. Put on ice skates and go for a spin at one of these beautiful outdoor rinks.
17. Take a 4D Polar Express ride and then check out the new train exhibit at the Museum of Science.
18. Visit the Museum of Fine Arts all week long for special kid programs and discover your inner artists! And don't forget to scoop up a ticket to see the interactive Winnie the Pooh exhibit before it leaves town on January 6.
19. Hit up the CURiOSiTY Cart at the Fuller Craft Museum for a fun and interactive way to explore works of art.
20. Ring in 2019 at Boston's annual First Night/First Day!