Earth Day: How-To Festival
The Staten Island Museum offers up a virtual version of its annual Earth Day: How-To Festival. Local experts, enthusiasts, and hobbyists share their particular passions, ranging from activities that require specialized skills to those anyone can do.
How-To Festival Lineup:
- Cooper Keane (Amateur Lepidopterist) How to help monarch butterfly migration
- Yemi Amu (Founder and Farm Manager, Oko Farms Aquaponics) How to grow food from food
- Tattfoo Tan (Artist) How to make paint from minerals
- Sarah Blas (Founder, Staten Island Therapeutic Gardens) How to cultivate community growth through gardening
- Tony Rose (Director, Natural Resources Protective Association) How to put a kayak to sea... and come back and How to talk to a living fossil
- Cliff Hagen (President, Protectors of Pine Oak Woods) How to attract attractive birds
- Staten Island Urban Center How to alkaline water
- Jenna Otero and Annabel Posimato (NYC Regional Environmental Educator, New York State Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation) How to make a pollinator-friendly outdoor space
- Christopher Rommel, Environmental Educator, Staten Island Greenbelt How to use a Baseplate Compass
- Colleen Evans (Director of Natural Science Interpretation and Collections, Staten Island Museum) How to press a plant and start an herbaria at home
- Ashley Gary (Science communicator) How to follow your dreams of becoming a science communicator
- Ciara Scully (Regional Environmental Educator at New York State Parks) How to start a Nature Journal
- Aly Stoffo, Environmental Communicator Staten Island Weed, or Medicinal plant? How to Identify and Use!
- Kwynn Hogan, Environmentalist, Advocate, & Educator (IG: @kwynn.hgn) Eat the Weeds: How To Forage In Your Backyard
- Lenny Librizzi (Beekeeper and Community Gardener) What Tree is That? How to Identify Five of My Favorite Trees.
- Franco Paolino How to Hike Staten Island
- Cait Field (Manager for Science & Research Development , Freshkills Park Alliance) How to observe animals like a scientist
- Wambui Ippolito (Horticulturist) How to cold stratify seeds for spring planting
- Cristian Gilces (GrowNYC) How to choose the right houseplant for your home