40 Things to Do with Kids in NYC for a Fun-filled Staycation
Last week we asked our readers to share things you’ve always wanted to do in the city, but haven't gotten to yet or your favorite staycation ideas. The answers were a gold mine of activities for families in New York City and perfect to keep us all busy over the upcoming school vacation. You people are brilliant!
Here they are, the Top 40 Reader Suggested Things to do in NYC on a Staycation:
- Queens Zoo: petting zoo, farm and carousel and more
- Paramus Children's Museum: This little-known museum has some really unique exhibits, like digging up a dinosaur cave, tea time in a pre-school sized Medieval throne room set or playing with the giant Lite Brite Light Mosaic. Who knew?
- Create your own city Scavenger Hunt
- Macy's Flower Show: You can see the full show on the Third Floor, or just take in the store windows which depict Floradora, an oversized plastic flamingo's, travels to gardens around the world.
- Ride the R train for the above-ground views of Brooklyn and Queens
- Wave Hill: Situated in Riverdale overlooking the Hudson River, Wave Hill is a gorgeous 28-acre public garden and culture center with extensive programming for children.
- Floyd Bennett Field: Old airfield turned historic center that has example aircrafts on display in a 1950s "nose-hanger"
- FINALLY, go visit the Statue of Liberty
- Do the Asia Society Family Day events
- Victorian Gardens in Central Park: This amusement park isn't open for summer just yet, but it will be soon!
- A picnic in and a stroll through Prospect Park: This park always has something great for families, from free movies to hikes and bird watching.
- Celebrate Earth Month at the Bronx Zoo .
- Do a tourists day in the city, complete with a dirty water hot dogs!
- Brave the crowds and visit the Empire State Building
- Play inside Sony Wonder Lab
- Ice skate in Chelsea Piers
- The Liberty Science Center: From the nation's largest IMAX Dome Theater to the new iExplore toddler and preschool exploratorium to permanent exhibits, like the 12,800 square foot interactive Skyscraper! exhibit and several rotating exhibits, there is way too much to explore in one day.
- Cherry Blossoms at the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens
- Walk over the Brooklyn Bridge, get ice cream and stop for Pizza at Grimaldi's
- NY Aquarium and walk down the Coney Island Boardwalk
- Splurge on a hotel with an indoor pool for one day
- Riverside State Park: Lots of recreational acitivies for kids and families, and plenty of sports fields and courts.
- Penny Park Tom Otterness sculpture--walk down to to Battery Park City, see the new Staten Island Ferry terminal and visit Battery Park
- Ride the Staten Island Ferry. Free cruise!
- Bike down the West Side bike path from Inwood to Battery Park City
- Go for a hike in Inwood
- Brooklyn Children's Museum: Check out our complete review.
- Explore hidden areas of Central Park
- STREB Show in Williamsburg
- Have an Egyptian afternoon in the Brooklyn Museum: Find out when this museum and many others are free, here.
- Have Dim Sum in Chinatown
- Go on a picnic in your local park, and gather all the food fresh from farmer's markets
- Bird Watch in the Central Park Ramble (don't forget to get your birdwatching kit from the Belvedere Castle, first!)
- Visit Roosevelt Island and take the tram there
- Visit surrounding islands like Staten Island, Governor's Island, City Island and Ellis Island, for a trip through history
- Take those red double decker tour buses.
- Ride the ferris wheel at Toy R Us in Times Square: Check out more great stores to play in for free in NYC
- Go to the Central Park Zoo and imitate the animals.
- Try the Tours for Fours at MoMA
- Go to Coney Island
Need more ideas of cool things to do with kids in NYC? Check out our list of 100 Things to Do With Your Kids in NYC Before They Grow Up
PS. Due to some terrible twist of spam we actually lost the original post with all your comments. If your idea didn't make it here feel free to share it again in the comments below.