White Plains with Kids: 30 Things to Do for Westchester Families
White Plains has long been the "seat" of Westchester County--home to the county courthouse, county center and headquarters of some major companies like PepsiCo, IBM and Nestle. It is also the county's commercial hub. Inside this small city are five separate shopping centers--City Center, the Westchester Mall, the Galleria, the Source at White Plains and the Westchester Pavilion--along with more individual stores, restaurants and businesses than one could possibly visit in a day. We've mentioned White Plains many times when highlighting fun things to do with kids, including ice skating, cooking classes, miniature golf and more.
The 5,000 seat Westchester County Center is a stopping point for hundreds of shows, sports competitions, expos, markets and events every year--two events made our June Go List--and several smaller venues provide culture and classes for residents and visitors alike. Just outside a bustling downtown, families can take refuge in a charming town and scenic county parks.
In June, we'll take a closer look at White Plains and all it has to offer kids and families including the best places to play, eat and shop, starting with our list of 30 things to do with kids in White Plains.
- Explore the endless options for children’s programming at The Trove in the White Plains Library.
- Shop at the International Farmer’s Market.
- Take in a show, adopt a reptile or buy rare gems at the Westchester County Center.
- Enjoy The Toe Show at Barnes and Noble in the City Center.
- Splash around in the Saxon Woods water park.
- Take a bike tour of the Bronx River Pathway.
- Catch a cooking class at Sur la Table or Williams Sonoma in The Westchester
- Get dramatic with the Play Group Theatre.
- Join the Kidgits Club at the Westchester Mall and enjoy VIP events, free goodies at functions and more.
- Take advantage of $2 Tuesdays at White Plains Bowl
- Learn to skate at Ebersole Rink.
- Take Spot out to play at the Bark Dog Park.
- Experience nature up close at the Cranberry Lake Preserve.
- Take to the trails at Silver Lake Preserve.
- Choose from karate, dance, swimming and more at the local YWCA.
- Take a day trip to Germany at the German School New York’s annual Weihnachts Bazaar.
- Learn to play the trumpet, violin, piano--take your pick--at the Music Conservatory of Westchester.
- Enjoy eggs benedict or the signature walnut raisin bread at the City Limits Diner.
- Shoot for par at Saxon Woods Mini Golf.
- Watch your favorite stories come to life on stage at the White Plains Performing Arts Center.
- Brush up on your game at Hole in One Golf Camp.
- Learn a new language at Berlitz Kids programs.
- Celebrate a birthday with a movie party at City Center 15: Cinema de Lux.
- Make your own sundae at one of Westchester’s original froyo shops, Baby Yogurt.
- Make bathtime fun with a fizzy robot or magical bubble bath wand from LUSH.
- Take grilled cheese to a whole new level at the MELT Sandwich Shop.
- Pick up some new moves at the Steffi Nossen School of Dance.
- Stop in for cookies at the Iron Tomato.
- Pick up child size chopsticks at Kam Sen, Westchester’s largest Asian market.
- Peruse local artists' and student work at the annual White Plains Outdoor Arts Festival.