New Year's Weekend Fun for Westchester Kids
The coming weekend is chock-full of holiday events for Westchester families, some of which have been listed in our roundup of New Year’s Eve activities. Below we’ve compiled a baker’s dozen of fun ways to spend the four-day weekend, including both New Year’s Eve celebrations, First Day hikes, post-holiday attractions, and other sources of entertainment.
Whether you opt for joining a New Year’s Countdown to Noon, watching the Harlem Globetrotters work their magic on the court, or any of the other fun events we’ve identified, we’re confident that 2019 will be off to a swinging start.
Be sure to consult the Mommy Poppins Event Calendar to craft the perfect itinerary for your family holiday, and don't miss our roundup of Winter Day Trips for Westchester Families if you feel like hitting the road.
All of us at Mommy Poppins wish you and your families a very happy New Year!
1. Gear up for the festivities by making a celebratory hat on December 31.
2. Catch a big-screen showing of The Prince of Egypt for the price of a nominal donation (daily through December 31).
3. Dig both the athleticism and fancy moves of the Harlem Globetrotters on December 31.
4. Ring in the New Year at Noon with a 3000-balloon drop plus gobs of activities on December 31…
5. …or ring in the new year in the early evening with a Mexican dinner, clown entertainment, balloon animals, and noisemakers (also on December 31).
6. Cross the border for family New Year’s Eve celebrations in Connecticut on December 31.
7. Walk off some of those 2018 calories while learning about local history at the Old Croton Aqueduct First-Day Hike on January 1…
8. …or burn calories and save room for marshmallows toasted at the First Day Hike and Bonfire (January 1).
Join AMNH for the museum’s annual Kwanzaa event, a celebration of African-American heritage. Photo courtesy of the museum
10. Purchase tickets for a stage adaptation of a “tale as old as time”: Beauty and the Beast (December 29-30, plus additional dates in January).
11. Before they end their 2018 run, visit the annual Winter Wonderland (through December 31)…
Visit Lasdon Park to catch the Holidays on the Hill Train Show before it closes for the season! Photo courtesy of Lasdon Park
12. …Holidays on the Hill Train Show (through December 30), or…
13. …Holiday Spirit Festival (through December 29).
And don't forget to consult our guide to New Year’s Eve celebrations for Westchester kids to find even more festive ways to ring in the new year!