Scarsdale with Kids: 25 Things to Do for Westchester Families
Scarsdale’s first population count in 1790 was a whopping 281 inhabitants. The town now has nearly 18,000 residents and with its close proximity to New York City (30 minute express train ride to Grand Central), excellent public school system, several parks and pools plus family friendly restaurants, shops and events, the town continues to attract a perpetual stream of new families from Manhattan and beyond.
In November we'll be focusing on everything Scarsdale has to offer families, including our favorite places to eat, play and shop. Read on for our top things to do in Scarsdale with kids!
- Settle in with a good book in the sweet children's section of the Scarsdale Public Library. Also enjoy story times, drop-in crafts, junior book club and baby free play.
- Get in the holiday spirit at the Annual Holiday Music Festival hosted by Hoff-Barthleson Music School.
- Book a haircut at A & G Happy Kids Haircuts where you'll find a toy box full of things to entertain siblings and an electric train running overhead to make the outing fun.
- After your little one's haircut, head next door to Buon Amici Deli for delicious Italian take-out for the whole family. Seriously. Everyone who finds out about this little gem becomes an addict.
- It's never too early to learn a new language. Little Linguists offers fun, quality Spanish classes for children. Olé!
- During summer months, keep cool at Scarsdale Municipal Pool Complex. Choose from several lovely pools, grab a treat at the snack bar, and romp in the playground!
- Cruise to Scarsdale Concours' Annual Auto Show, a premiere show that benefits local charities.
- Explore art at the Westchester Fine Arts Festival.
- Hit up the Annual Sidewalk Sale (outdoor shopping is much more enticing to tots).
- During the summer months, take in a free outdoor concert at Chase Park, a 40+ year tradition! My kids loved picnicking and enjoying a “mini Tanglewood.”
- Peruse the aisles of educational toys and games at Learning Express Toys of Scarsdale.
- Or head across the street to Scarsdale Child's Play, the village's other toy shop. Kids will love the giant bubbles out front. If you ask nicely, they’ll even give you their bubble recipe.
- Treat the kids (and yourself!) to sweets at Imagine Candy.
- Introduce little ones to a non-spicy dish at Little Thai Kitchen.
- Take horseback riding lessons at Boulder Brook Equestrian Center. Pony rides are also available the wee ones!
- Hit up the nature themed Discovery Playground at Greenburg Nature Center and stick around for fun and educational programs, festivals and events.
- Enjoy festivals and other family programing at Weinberg Nature Center.
- Romp in the open fields, play tennis or take in a little league game, then feast in the covered picnic area at Crossway Park.
- Get your sillies out at Great Play of Scarsdale where kids can jump, flip, slide and have fun!
- Practice your yoga moves at Yoga-A-Go-Go, a Saturday yoga class for special needs children, hosted by the Scarsdale Public Library.
- Take a dance class at Central Park Dance, where you'll find classes for all ages (including adults!).
- Let your kids make their own dessert at Yogo Joy.
- Head to Scarsdale Metro Restaurant for family-friendly fare. The staff here is gracious to even the youngest patrons.
- Budding author in the family? Check out Scarsdale's annual Young Writers Workshop, a forum for young writers to develop skills in a wide range of media.
- Have a blast at the annual Scarsdale High School Carnival, complete with kiddie rides, food and games.