Pity little February. If ever a month were deserving of an identity crisis, it would be the shortest month on our calendar. The holidays have passed, spring is at least a month away, and your kids are almost guaranteed to get ill.
There’s no denying it: Even at 28 days, February is the most tedious month of our 12. And every four years we even add a day just to make the monotony linger.
The good news is 2019 is not a leap year. But before we fast-forward into March, let’s think about all February does offer Long Islanders.
- There’s a weeklong school break right in the middle of the month.
- A chance to show our loved ones how much we care, at Valentine's Day.
- The best opportunity on our calendar to learn about cultural diversity.
- A groundhog (really, a prairie dog) leads the celebration toward an early spring.
- There’s even a football game on the first weekend that some consider Super.
February isn’t ideal. But we at Mommy Poppins recognize there’s still plenty to enjoy in these four weeks. You just have to look a bit more closely.
For example, Lunar New Year brings cultural celebrations to Garden City, East Rockaway, Stony Brook, and Port Washington. And Sag Harbor's annual winter celebration delivers a fitting exclamation point to a short but fun-filled month.
Of course, our Winter Fun Guide offers plenty of inspiration for Long Island families coping with February cabin fever. And our Long Island Events Calendar offers exciting family options as they develop throughout the month.